Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

22-250 Reloading Dies
 Login/Join

posted
I have a set of Redding 222 Match "S" Dies and a set of Bonanza (Forster) for 223. I am looking at getting a set for the 22-250 but can't make up my mind with what to go with. I have problems getting Norma brass in the UK so will probably have a variance of brass. This I would expect will mean I will need more bushes for the 22-250 to cope with the different brass. So an expensive option.
Are the Forster Dies up to the Redding standard.
Also if I go with Redding, would a .247-.250 set of bushes deal with most brass?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Forster dies are comparable to Redding, I believe that they are better, but have no imperical data to prove it.

You can't go wrong with either. I have used both brands quite a bit and have returned one set of each to the respective makers because they did not meet concentricity parameters. Each company was most concerned and sent me new dies.

The difference is that Forster asked that I send them 5 or 6 pieces of my fired brass. Forster checked the die that I returned, found that it was off, tested a new die with my brass and gave me a detailed performance report with the new sizing die, taking time to point out which pieces of brass has necks that were not consistent in thickness. In my mind that beats "oops, here try antother set of dies and see if they are OK". My bias towary Forster is probably showing, but as I said I use Redding dies too and they do a good job.

Posts: 121 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Agree with Paul Libby, except my take is they are quite comparable in quality. I prefer the S dies from Redding if only for the ability to vary neck tension, but their quality is pretty equal. You have different approaches to concentricity and neck tension with the two companies. With the expander up near the neck in the Forster you need not be concerned with variance in neck wall thickness between brass lots, other than for the inconsistency in loads using brass with high variance in the individual necks. You won't require extra bushings or anything else when you switch brass. I have both dies for one cartridge for which I load and I've not detected any difference in accuracy with either. They both produce good cases by different methods. Look at the price and decide on that. Neither will disappoint you.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You are certainly asking the right questions, and taking the right approach. My esteemed colleagues above are all right on the mark. If you already have bushings for your 222 die set, then all you need for sizing is a new Redding die for the 22-250. I generally use Redding, but have been thrilled also with the quality of my Forster National Match sizing dies in .223 and .308.
My supplier http://www.sinclairintl.com/ shows the Forster sizer and seater combination as being 20-25% cheaper than the Redding, don't know what your local merchants charge.
If you go with Redding, I recommend the Titanium Nitride coated bushings. Much smoother to use.
With either brand of sizing dies I recommend getting a Moly Dry Neck Lube Kit:
http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=RECLCTCL&type=store
That eliminates most of the drag on the case neck during the sizing operation.
Have Fun,
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote