Find
Notify
Tools

.300 Win Mag 170-gr NP load
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted
Anyone use this bullet? The cannelure is set forward and I suspect it is for 30/30 use. I have 76 grains RL-22 worked up for 168-grainers and plan to try the NP's at the same load...

Thanx

Posts: 4885 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That bullet is designed for .30-30 velocities. Sped up to Magnum speeds it will be very explosive - particularly at close range. Its blunt shape will lose velocity rapidly, hampering its use at long range where the bullet won't be so explosive. You don't say what you will be shooting with this load, but I'd be very careful about using it on game animals, partitioned or not.....

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
That's what I was afraid of...

Thanx!

Posts: 4885 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for a RN bullet check out Hornaday; I use their 220 RN in my 300 H&H and it shoots very well

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Gonna use 'em for reduced loads (35 grains IMR 4198) with magnum primer.
I have the 220's in my .300 H&H "stable".

Cheers!