Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-06 good load
 Login/Join

posted
I have a sako 30-06 would like to know of a good load for deer and accuracy I am currently useing 165gr SST with 57gr AR2209 and getting 2730ft/sec but are SST good to kill deer? have shot 1 deer with no trouble but it was in the open. My mate has shot 3 deer all ran away with no sign of blood very frustrating.
Was wondering if the sst didn't penitrate deep enough to damage??

Long shot Lloyd

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Taupo varmiter:
My mate has shot 3 deer all ran away with no sign of blood very frustrating.

Where is he hitting them and are you sure they were hit well. It would be very unusual to hit three deer in a row in the vitals with that combination and not have them die in short order. While the SST is not a premium bullet it is indeed deadly on deer sized game, although it may not pass completly through a deer and exit leaving a profuse blood trail it will do extensive damage to the internals and you will have a dead deer that won't run far. Most deer do not drop on the spot no matter what you hit them with unless you get a hit to the central nervous system either brain or spine but a hit to the chest usually will find them dead within 100yds no matter the caliber and style of bullet as long as it is of an expanding type.

aka. bushrat

Posts: 372 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 13 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like Nosler bullets and their reloading manual. They do a good job with the Ol' 30-06, especially with Reloader 22 in 165 and 180 gr. bullets. Hodgdon also has some nice loads with H4350.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have got 4 deer with SST's. I haven't lost any. The SST's open up a lot more when they hit bone. I shot a large muley last fall. He was quartering slightly towards me. Bullet went all the way through and shattered the rear leg bone.

There is nothing that cannot be accomplished with brute force and ignorance

Posts: 145 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I load 165 grain SSTs for my 30-06 and get a muzzle velocity of 2878 FPS using 57 grains of IMR 4350. The SSTs should work great for deer. I question your buddies shooting ability. Just for insurance I use the Hornady Interbond for my hunting loads since I also hunt pigs. The same load recipe works for both bullets. I'm getting just under 1" groups with my Model 70 Winchester. I could probably increase the accuracy a bit if I played with the bullet seating depth.

Posts: 257 | Location: Torrance, Ca | Registered: 02 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Taupo varmiter:
I have a sako 30-06 would like to know of a good load for deer and accuracy I am currently useing 165gr SST with 57gr AR2209 and getting 2730ft/sec but are SST good to kill deer? have shot 1 deer with no trouble but it was in the open. My mate has shot 3 deer all ran away with no sign of blood very frustrating.

165 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw (expensive but worth it)

168 grain Barnes Triple Shock.

Load either one with 57 grains IMR 4350 and you will get a complete pass thru (blood trail) with expansion. The only thing I would advise is that if you are shooting at 100 yards or less with the Triple Shocks aim for the shoulder blades, you will probably still get a pass thru but it might need the bone hit to expand properly. The accuracy in either is excellent.

Without guns we are subjects, with guns we are citizens

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
At the velocity you stated, just about any hunting bullet would work.

I've just rescently started shooting the 150 Accubonds out of my 30-06 because the 150 SSTs were exploding when launched at 2950.

My load w/ the ABs is 57 grains of H380, Rem cases, and Fed 215 primers. That load shoots -sub-MOA at 100 and clocks in at 2940 fps (12'-15' from muzzle). 49 grains of H4895 worked well too, it was also sub MOA and added just a few fps. I think it will be one heck of a deer load. Looks like we are going to have to wait 7-8 months to find out for sure.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Taupo, I take it you are in Kiwi, If you want a premium aussie made bullet try the Woodleigh 165PP or the 180PP, I use the 180PP in my 30.06 and 57gns of AR2209 for 2780fps (24" barrel) and the 270gnPP in my 375H&H both for Sambar, the load you are using is a couple of gns. under max. so you might want to push it a little harder.
What deer are you hunting mate, hope that helps you a bit...

Posts: 147 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
180gr Nosler Partition and Vhitavouri N160.
Very accurate.

RC

Repeal the Hughes Amendment.

Posts: 1147 | Location: Ohio USA | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"30-06 Springfield- 96 Years and Going Strong

When loading for the 30-06, shooters should not overlook the potential of H4350 (=ADI AR2209). ADI makes Hodgdon's 4350. This powder can give great results in all bullet weights but it especially shines in 150 gr., 165 gr., and 180 gr. loads. Great accuracy and consistency are the hallmarks for H4350 and the 30-06."

BBL: 24" PR: WINCHESTER LR
BULLET POWDER GR VEL CUP

150 GR. NOS BT COL: 3.250"

--H4350 62.0 C 3068 fps 48,400 CUP

165 GR. SIE SPBT COL: 3.300"

--H4350 59.0 2938 fps 49,400 CUP

180 GR. SIE SPBT COL: 3.300"

--H4350 57.5 2800 fps 49,300 CUP

These are really mild-mannered loads too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
First, If you are shooting Red Deer, they might not be going through. Secondly, it amasizes me that everyone seems to think that a pass through gaurentees a blood trail. It dose not! I'll give you two examples on two whitetail does taht weighed around 125lbs each. The first was with a 150 gn 30-06 F/L Combined Tech Patrition type bullet w/lead in the back and a copper front. Pencil through, double lung, broken 'off' shoulder absolutely no blood trail. The deer ran about 100yds through dense chapparal. We only found it with the help of the scavenger eagles. This was obviously the wrong bullet, although the deer obviously died within a miniute. The next was shot with a 7-08,139gn 139SST. It entered and exited the 'meaty'part of the shoulder, exited and entered the body taking out the 'plumbing' at the top of the heart. It exited taking out part of two ribs and leaving hair tissue and a little blood where she was standing. She ran about 60yds leaving no blood trail. Excelent bullet performance, just no blood. Sometimes they just don't leave a blood trail.

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds. Get closer!

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote