New
Find
Notify
Tools

280 Ackley Improved loads (help)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Took my rem 700 in to be rebarreled to 280AI yesterday. Now Im looking for help finding some loading info for the 280AI. Any pet loads or experiences would also be appreciated.

Posts: 84 | Location: Cleveland Tx | Registered: 25 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
My 280 AI's seem to like RL 19 and RL22 as well as IMR 4350 all with 139 gr Hornady bullets with a slight edge going to 57 gr of RL22 and the same bullet. Start low and work up in your gun.

Steve E.......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1837 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use VV N-560, i know you guys have a major attraction to reloader powders but you should try some its good stuff!

try some 162gr A-Maxs
and some 160gr accubonds, pretty much got everything covered with that!

what brand barrel are you using? length? contour?

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gary Surko
posted Hide Post
I've been using RL22 with 160gr. bullets. I'd like to try VV165 but there's not much of that around here. I get my data from Nosler and Sierra.

Political correctness offends me.

Posts: 668 | Location: Hastings, Michigan | Registered: 23 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul Im using a Lothar Walther 24" SS with a standard sporter contour and 6 flutes. I preciate the info yall keep it coming

Posts: 84 | Location: Cleveland Tx | Registered: 25 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
RL22 has my vote. I started with 145gr speers and then switched to 140&160 Noslers. For deer the 140 is hard to beat while I have taken Elk with the 140 I would go with the 160 given a choice.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM me I'll give you TONs of data. Regards, AIU

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
My 280AI likes RL22 with the 160 gr Accubond. It occasionally shoots groups like this

but most of the time shoots a very consistant 1". That load is too hot with my current 5# bottle of RL22 and I have recently scaled down to 60.5 gr and still gets the same velocity. Also my 280AI does not like to be seated into the lands and prefers to be seated .020" off.

Lately I've been thinking about trying RL25 since in another gun switching from RL22 to RL25 made a big difference in a positive way.

Hey Ackley Improved User, what is your one favorite load with a 160 gr bullet?

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woods I had no idea you could get that kind of vel. with a 160gr. out of a 280AI. Impressive group. I hope mine turns out that well

One of Us
posted Hide Post
bowhgs280...Your gonna love that 280AI... I get 2961 fps using 54grs of IMR4831 and the Combined Technology partition 160s in a 24" barrel. I can get a bit more velocity, but accuracy is not as good as the 54gr load..it shoots sub inch groups at 100. I tried RL19 and didnt have as good results with it...

Noslers data says that my load is still 3gr under the max...but I think that at 55gr I was very close to max in my rifle... Its good to have a chrony handy to compare velocities to the published data...

Have fun working up your loads.....

Z

Posts: 503 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
I have a 26" barrel which would help some. This gun was rebarreled by Hart and they made a tight chamber which will help some also. My Redding Body Die does not even size the case body when I use it to push the shoulder back.

It is relatively easy to hit 3000 with the 160's and 3150 with the 140's. Primer pockets still tight after six loadings and no other pressure signs. But 3000 fps with the 160 Accubond was my goal and I will settle there and work with it.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote