New
Find
Notify
Tools

Primer Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Quick question on primers. Is there a big difference between Fed 210M & 215M ? The reason for the question is I am working on a load for a 300 WSM and the info I have suggests using a 210 , but some new info that has come to my attention uses 215 . I have over 2000 210's and no 215's. Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

Posts: 103 | Location: Piney woods of southeast TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I would use the 210s. If accuracy isn't satisfactory or, once having worked up a load with the 210s you want to see if you can do better, then try the 215s.

My prediction is that you'll notice little or no difference in performance between them.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using 210's in my 7mm Mag since I got the rifle 20 years ago, with nary a problem, and very good accuracy.

Don

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Quick question on primers. Is there a big difference between Fed 210M & 215M ? The reason for the question is I am working on a load for a 300 WSM and the info I have suggests using a 210 , but some new info that has come to my attention uses 215 . I have over 2000 210's and no 215's. Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

You can develop a load with either the 210 or the 215. They’re not interchangeable though. If you develop your load with the 210 then that’s your load. If for some reason you come across some 215s and want to try them, then work up a load with those. If you interchange them you’re not going to hurt anything other than the accuracy of your load.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree watch out when using different brands or regular primers then Magnum primers when building loads . Naughty things can happen because all primers were not created equal by a long shot !.

Some where a fellow on this forum posted a set of pictures showing different primers flash burn .
It clearly demonstrates some are indeed more powerful than others .

As I had not seen these before I was struck by the difference in flame shapes as well as explosive forces . Most noticeable to me was the RWS directed flame pattern and reach of the flame . Check them out I forgot where they were posted !.

Shoot Straight Know Your target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are happy with the results of your load with the Federal 210, by all means use it. It is my favorite primer for my .270WSM loads, and seems to be more consistent than the 215 in my rifle. My second choice for primers in the .270WSM is the WLRM. But I plan to keep enough Federal 210's on hand that I won't have to resort to the Winchester primers.

Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The literal answer is the 210M is the Match Grade Large Rifle primer and the 215M is the Match Grade Large Rifle Magnum primer.

As others have said, they are not interchangeable. But with the cartridgs mentioned, the 210s will probably probably work just fine.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No controversy ; I just wanted to clear up a point . In many cases a STD. or Mag primer may be interchanged in a particular load , with no diverse consequences . Having said this let me clarify a real important point . Some times NOT ALWAYS !.

Magnum primers were primary designed for Large capacity cases cold weather ignition slow burning powders , all of this to insure as complete a powder burn as possible .

In faster powder burning smaller capacity cases pressure spikes have been known to occur when Mag primers are used . This also is extremely true in Large capacity cases with severely reduced loads . Especially when substituting faster burning powders .

Picture this . A large magnum case with perhaps a 1/4 of the case loaded with a fast burning powder . Cartridge is in the chamber powder is underneath the primer , with a great deal of air . Now the primer ignites causing flash over. ( Powder nearest the projectile ignites first ) with the remaining powder exploding last . NOT GOOD !.

Another way to picture it is like a full gallon of gas , one tosses a match into it . Yes it will burn like hell but rarely blow up .

Now with as little as 1/18 of that in said can , baby you've got a an explosion !!!!. Just like a cylinder in a car Engine minus the steel to contain the blast !!!!!!!!.

Always consult a reloading manual and be cautious while reloading . Still Works for me after 40 years still got all my digits . I even handled explosives before during and after V N
Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Dr.,

Very good post. Thanks for your input.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
No controversy

Dr.,

I’ve read your replies for a while. Stop holding back. The “No controversy†approach is nice but it doesn’t always work in this format. To hell with that. You’ll just get ran over by the kids that are reading the latest gun magazines.

I done post all that much, but I’m a reader.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Simple answer: What do the different primers do? The 215 is designed for burning powder more efficiently in
large magnum cases with a hotter flash than a standard 210 rifle primer.
The 215 primer will increase pressure some. It will burn the powder quicker & more completely. That's why it was designed...
I use Fed. 215 primers in all my big, overbore magnum cases...of which a 7mm Magnum is one of that type.
The 210 primer may work as well, but it often won't be as efficient.
The factors of expansion ratio in the barrel, and bullet weight/caliber also make a difference.
My rule of thumb: Magnum overbore cartridges: Use a magnum primer
Regular type cartridges don't need it.
Anyway, that's how I see it.
Best regards,

Tom

Posts: 287 | Location: Cody, Wyoming | Registered: 02 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
You dont need a hot 215 primer for a short mag, I use WLR or WLRMs, 210s will work fine, too.

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote