New
Find
Notify
Tools

.450NE with light bullets?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone got some loads for the .450 with bullets in the 300-350 grain arena? Can't find much for anything but the 480 grainers.

A stranger is a friend we haven't met

Posts: 56 | Location: Yellowknife, NWT, Canada | Registered: 31 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use the 75% rule for the 350 gns in .458.

That should get you going.

You might also try asking on the Double Rifle forum as this is where most people would know
for the 450 NE and light bullets and the 75% rule.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can give you 2 suggestions.

First use the 350gr Hornady bullet and my 75% rule.
Use the same powder, and powder charge with the 350gr bullet. It should regulate and shoot to the sights. You might have to tweek the load up or down a few grains, but usually not. Velocity should be around 2330fps with the 350gr bullet.

Or you can start with 68gr of IMR 3031, and the Hornady 350gr bullet. Work up, or down, watching for pressure signs, until the load regulates and hits to the sights. You Must use a filler with IMR 3031, either dacron or a foam plug. Just be sure the filler is compressed between the bullet and the powder.

I have killed several deer and wild pigs using the 350gr Hornady bullet with similar loads in my 450 No2.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want some other loads with a lot less recoil use either 300gr bullets or 400gr jacketed or lead bullets meant for the 45/70, [so you can tell them from your higher powered 350gr loads].

Start with 50gr of IMR 4198, and work up or down a little.

Again you MUST USE DACRON FILLER.

In my 450 No2 I use fifteen grains of dacron filler so in the 450 3 1/4" maybe around 12 grains or so. Just be sure it is compressed between the bullet and the powder.
Velocities of these loads will be around 1950 fps or so.

You should be anle to develop a load that shoots to the sights to 50 yards. Due to its reduced velocity they will shoot low at 100.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I load a Hawk 350 gr round nose on top of the same load I put under my Woodleigh 480s get pretty much same point of impact shoots softer but a bit snappier.....
Good Luck

Posts: 1626 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote