New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 6.5x55 brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been using pmc 6.5x55 brass with no problems, I would prefer to use win or lapua however.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Just got back from a gun show in Glendale CA.They were selling 6.5x55 ammo a brisk clip. It's called HOT SHOT from Bosnia. That used to be Yugoslavia. They didn't have a micrometer for me to use but you might want to check it out. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
You are right it is under size whether it causes problems or not.The two sources that I have that are to size were of Yugoslave manufacture. One was Hanson. But from what I've been told , Norma and Sellier and Bellot are larger. I've tried to find out about Graf but have had no replies in the past. How's the 358 doing? roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jedi
posted Hide Post
Johan and Niels. The situation is also the same in Norway. The 6.5x55 is sponsored, - or rather the shooting organization that organizes most competition-shooters get their 6.5x55 ammo sponsored. It is mostly Raufoss (the ones that makes the "multi purpose" ammo) that is "the sponsored ammo" here. The 6.5x55 is the official cartridge choice for the DFS (the biggest competition-shooter-organization)and Sauer 200 match rifle is their official rifle (also sponsored). Back in the early 80's and back to the late 1800's, the Krag J�rgensen vas the rifle here. Norway and Sweden was in Union from 1814 to 1905 and our "unioncartridge" from 1896 for military rifles was the 6.5x55 that was developed by the joint Swedish/Norwegian rifle/ammo "board", where Major Krag was a member (not part-taking in choosing rifle).

The Danish bought Krag J�rgenson rifles for their military a little earlier than the Americans. The Swedes chose the Mauser M96. There is a max and min chamber for the 6.5x55, and in Norway we chose the max dim. for our cartridges and chambers, while in Sweden they chose the min. dim. ... This lead to quite a stir in the newspapers around 1900 .

We now operate with the 6.5x55 Scan as a standard (this is used by the DFS for their Sauer 200 chambers).

As for the best brass. The Norma and Lapua!

Yours

Posts: 52 | Location: Elverum, Norway | Registered: 04 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had the same issue when I started loading for my Swede. I asked the manufacturer about it, and included a set of measurements I had taken with a micrometer. They replied that the brass was within dimension specs. Apparently, it's on the small side of specs, but within.

I've never had any problem with US brass.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Niels

The situation is the same in Sweden. Some foreign members will be green with envy

/ JOHAN

I don't envy the tax rate in your country!

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Niels, I would like a ton of Norma once fired 6.5x55 brass! Thanks!

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not certain that I understand.....
In Your post you ask . where you can get 6.5x55 swedish mauser brass, right? Over here the caliber is supported economically by the government, so allmost everybody shoots it. Sportsshooters mostly, but certainly a lot of hunters too. Once fired cases are left as thrash everywhere on the ranges. I'll get to the point... how many do you want?
Give me an adress and I'll pick some up from the thrash can and mail them to you.
I you prefer to buy them over there. try Norma brass, that's what "everybody" shoots here.

Posts: 389 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Over here the caliber is supported economically by the government

Niels, honestly?? I thought Denmark was just about the most expensive country in the world to buy ammo. I did not realize there were government sponsored calibers??? Any calibers other than 6.5x55 fall into this category??

Is the "sponsored" ammo, military FMJ ammo, or is is commercial ammo - your reply seems to indicate Norma??
- mike

P.S. Where in DK are you located?? Which range do you go to shoot at??

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I made some measurements:

Brass
Win 6.5x55 case head: .471"
S&B 6.5x55 case head: .473"
NNY 6.5x55 case head: .477"
Win 308 brass .464"
Win Super brass 30-06 .465"
Lake City 7.62x51 brass .469"

Dies
Lee 6.5x55 size die: .473"
Krupp 6.5x55 size die: .480"

Reamers at the Clymer reamer web site:
6.5x55 Swedish .4794"
6.5x55 Scan .4815"
.308 Win .470"
308 Palma match .469"
7.62 Nato .4725"

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Niels, PM sent.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, in this day and age of political correctness, government sponsored ammo sounds a bit like an anachronism. Yet it still exists. In Switzerland, the calibers 7.5x55 and .223 Rem can be had for pittance, or cases picked up on the range by the ton. You have to remove the primer crimp to reload (probably illegal - strictly speaking - but who cares), but other than that, cases are very good quality.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Niels

The situation is the same in Sweden. Some foreign members will be green with envy

/ JOHAN