New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Chronograph Recommendations
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
It is hard to make good decisions on a load work up if the readings are different every time you use the chrony, which is what I had when I used my shooting chrony. I bought an Oehler, and all those problems disappeared. I now get readings that I can count on and don't have to worry if the light conditions are "right". You can buy the Oehler for $225 if you don't want the printer, which I don't. I use a journal and write down each shot I take, along with a header for bullet type, primer, powder and case. I take my loading serious, and discrepancies of up to several hundred fps on my chronograph, are not acceptable. So, if you would like to know about how fast you bullets ae going, within 200 fps,and only IF you get a reading, the shooting chrony will work. If this is not acceptable, the Oehler has never given me an obviously false reading. I have no experience with the other units as I have no experience with them.
One of the reasons I got the Oehler was one day when I was at the range with my F-1 and one of my buddies had a Chrony Gamma master. His read 200 fps more than my unit when they were set up end to end. So which one was right?

Posts: 231 | Location: Abbotsford, Wis. | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If and when you have to call Oehler, they speak the(English) language and unless you happen to shoot a sky screen they will fix it for FREE, Did, I say FREE, I have used Oehler products for 30+ years and have not had a problem.
Stepchild

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I spoke of my 35P, I forgot to mention that I have th eprinter. Fo rme personally, it is th eonly way I would own it. I wish that I could save the data and download it directly to my PC when I get home. Seems like these days that would be easy to do. I like good records and accurate numbers, and a download function would make it easier. But th eprinter helps me with that for now

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The internal electronics of all chronographs are basically the same, utterly dependable, and incredibly cheap to produce these days. The fundamental difference between makes is in the detectors, that is the on-off switches that trigger the counter; ie. the photo-electric sensors or "skyscreens" if you will.

Anecdotally, the sensors that Shooting Chrony uses are a bit tempremental, as are the Pact sensors. Oehler's screens seem to be the most reliable, but they've been around a while and I wouldn't be surprised if the CED product someone mentioned is not an improvement.

I own the Oehler. It has the proof channel, but I don't use or even own the middle "proof" screen. With the Oehler, if there's a mess-up, you'll know it, making the proof screen redundant. If there's light enough to shoot, there's light enough to chronograph. Extremely shiny bullets that are polished to a high gloss are sometimes difficult to "see" and can fool the sensors.

I wouldn't give you a nickel for the "bells and whistles" like a printer or extended memory -- I can't remember what it is that the "memory" is remembering if I haven't written it down already , so that feature is pretty useless as far as I'm concerned.

If you want economy and aren't frustrated by dropping the velocity on a few shots, the Chrony is a bargain. I've even considered buying one myself so I could do some simultaneous velocity measurements both at the muzzle and downrange using two chronographs. But if you want dependability and to avoid frustrations, get the Oehler.

Posts: 13246 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Quote:

Can anyone offer a recommendation, pro or con on a good basic Chronograph? I would like to be able to read results at the shooting position.

I'm not sure that's possible. I'm not familiar with every chrono made but believe all the basic--meaning, I presume, inexpensive--have the readout right on the photo detectors. And that is typically 15' or more from the shooter's eyes.

The F-1 Shooting Chrony Master has a remote digital display and 16 ft cord to place the display on the shooter's bench and at less than $100 is a bargain and works extremely well.

http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/688064

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I first started using my Shooting Chrony, I was at the range on a partly cloudy day. I noticed that as the sun started to go behind a cloud, readings would drop by 50 fps or so. When the sun was fully behind the cloud, with screens in place, the Chrony would stop registering shots.

Since then, I've made it my practice to only chronograph when it's clear, or when the clouds are thin enough that I can see the shadow of the tripod, with screens in place. And, I only chronograph in the middle part of the day. When the canopy at the range is far enough downrange to cover the Chrony, I quit.

If I do that, the Chrony is very dependable, and repeatable. The main source of error is an occasional fly going through, and tripping only one sensor.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can't go wrong with a Shooting Chrony for overall value. I bought the Beta Master Chrony for the remote reading feature.

Not sure how accurate it is as I never compared it to anything else.

While I recommend Shooting Chrony I do find them NOT user friendly. Unless you use it every week, you find youself reading the manual everytime you take it out.

Danny Boy

Posts: 157 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote