New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 Hornet looks like a fun rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Bought A CZ 22 Hornet looks great for ground squirrls! Any problems reloading , I read really thin necks? solutions.
Bill

one of us
posted Hide Post
I reload for two--a CZ 527 bolt gun and a BSA Martini single shot which started life as a .22LR. Use Lil'Gun powder in both with 35 grain V-Max bullets. Both are super accurate (under 1/2 MOA). No particular difficulty in reloading as I neck size only. Brass lasts 5 or 6 reloadings--slightly longer with the CZ. This is a FUN caliber.
Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live."

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill: I'm with PJ on just neck size only I also have had good results with the 35gr V-Max. lately I have been using speers 33gr TNT they pop jack rabbit. Good luck

Posts: 64 | Location: Utah | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you probably got the best of the .22Hornets. Back when CZ was marketed as Brno rifles they pretty much made threir reputation in N. America with the little Hornet round. If anything they probably only got better. Best wkshes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
I have to disagree with Cal, I think I have the best of the 22 hornets, a prewar Winchester model 70 with a Weaver 330 in Stith mounts!!! It's a heck of shooter with Lil Gun and Hornandy 45 grainers at around 2800 fps. One of the funnest shooting rifles I have.

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had 5 pre 64s and sold them I think modern arms are by far superior , I think its some think that people like to talk about.

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Not superior to my prewar 70 and I guess it depends on your parameters. Hornets are not known for their outstanding accuracy, but mine will consistenly shoot .5 moa.

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The three things I miss are my father,my dog and a 1949 zkw465 Hornet I once had. Which I always have regreted selling bawling. I picked it up in 1994 all original and unused! It was a sweetlittle shooter despite its forend barrel screw. If your after fun as you say, the Hornet is it!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Woodjack,

I feel for you, I am almost in the same boat except that I still have, and intend to keep, my 1949 BRNO ZKW465. Any 35,40,45 and 47 grain cast bullet usually does well, especially, when combined with Lil' Gun. Just got to remember to not try to turn it into what it is not (a bigger calibre) and you will be pleased. It is a surprising little round and does a lot better than people give it credit for. Well, I think so anyway Big Grin

John

www.kosaa.co.uk

A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Posts: 275 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
The .22 Hornet IS a fun gun! I use mine (a Dan'l Fraser falling block) to shoot pigeons around the farm. Does a good job!!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote