Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Benchrest versus Standard primers?
 Login/Join

posted
What kind of difference can I expect when going from a standard large rifle primer(CCI) to a Bench Rest primer(CCI)? I loaded up some 22-250 loads, with the same powder/bullet combination that has worked excellent for me in the past, but instead of the standard primer I went with the bench rest primer. Can any one tell me what differences I will notice with this new combination? Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you would have to take a very large sample to detect any difference between standard and benchrest primers.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Waaaaal, some folks will tell you its the straight road to Jerusalum but that was not what I found. I have tried both small rifle BR primers and LR BR primers in side by side comparisons. I could not find any difference! Not in side by side comparison nor mixed use. There just wasn't any difference that I could detect. The BR primers are supposed to be made by the most skilled, experienced employees and some folks are willing to pay extra for the "comfort" of having a premium product but I personally think its a blue gosling.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I knew a guy that chased blue goslings all the time, he couldn't shoot worth a sh** though, maybe that's why he never got one.

Never could tell a whit of difference in BR primers either, what Denton & Beeman said!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I (and some of my buddies) have used both. General consensus is six of one and a half dozen of the other.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
THERE'S A BIG DIFFERENCE IN THEM

jUST LOOK AT THE PRICE TAG.....BUT THAT'S ALL THE DIFFERENCE i'VE EVER FOUND.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
A change in brands or std. to magnum may give you a sim. result as going w/ a match. Buy 100 & try them out.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Benchrest primers are supposed to provide a more consistent ignition than the garden variety ones. I expect the difference in price is because the compound used took time and money to develop to its advanced state of reliability. I know as much about benchrest shooting as Bill Clinton knows about morality, but I do know that the key to successful benchrest shooting is consistency. Benchrest primers are so-called because they deliver such consistency.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I use Benchrest Primers for all my loads. I feel they do improve my groups, and provide more consistant velocity.

Just my opine.

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I am looking forward to giving them a try. I don't expect my rifles to go sub minute by changing primers, actually I don't know what the heck they will do, but I'll give em a shot. An extra buck won't break the bank...however it would be nice if some forward progress could be realized...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

It just depends on the gun and the load. In some cases benchrest primers do not make any difference, for sure. In other cases they make an obvious change in performance.

I agree. I have one particular load in one rifle that groups much better with Fed 210M primers. Of course, if I changed something in the load, that may no longer be true.

Casey

Posts: 112 | Location: Western Slope of Colorado | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I beleive that the match primers are sorted for more consistency in weight and size/height. In some benchrest circles,..the tools that seat primers are sensitive to .001" increments. A few years back some boys were all about having a .003" seating depth (supposed to be the best). The match primer can make seating these faster for the guys who use that theory. I use them because I shoot matches,...and every game animal represents an X-ring,..so I take no chances for the few extra $.

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do it the el cheap way: sort your plain primers by weight. There is some credible evidence that suggests this will work. Come to think of it, segregate your match primers by weight, too. Can't hurt.

Posts: 305 | Location: Indian Territory | Registered: 21 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
When I first decided to try BR Primers, I did some side by side comparisons with established loads. I did find that BR Primers made a noticable difference in the size of my groups. While some loads were improved more than others, I only buy the BR Federal primers for my small and large rifles cartridges. The price difference really isn't that much, compared to other components like powder, brass and bullets.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
There's a good article, maybe last year some time, by McPherson, on this very subject in Precision Shooting magazine. Interestingly enough,(as I recall) he did dark room photography showing the explosion pattern and intensity of various types of primers.

As I recall, there was a large variation both in consistency of the event, and the actual output(explosion)of the primers across the board.

Reinforces my belief, once again, to NOT CHANGE ANYTHING when dealing with near maximum loads.

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw that article; the biggest surprise for me was the idea that the primer pushed the bullet out into the rifling.

Posts: 14459 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just test it... on most of my rifles the BR2/BR4 CCI benchrest primers

give to most accurate results, but on one (.222R)

a simple & cheap Sellier&Bellot (S&B) primer provides that

rifle with the most accurate load (double checked it).

If you have some shootingfriends, they will be happy to

just exchange 20 primers of each brand for testing evaluations.

The 210M Federal Match is also a good one.

For low temperature conditions you can use Magnum primers,

but most of the time accuracy will be less (but enough

for hunting purposes). Remember : accuracy is relative.