New
Find
Notify
Tools

question??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just started handloading this year. So i went out bought my Nosler bullets and No. 5 reloading guide. I want to reload my .308 w/ a 21 inch barrel. In the manual the reloaders were getting 2900 and even 3000 fps with a 150 grain spitzer. I myself am close to their recomended max load and am only getting 2700-2760. The test gun in the manual had a 24" tube. Could my short barrel be the reason im not getting the velocities listed in the manual? Also what are some good .308 powders, loads etc. Right now im sittin on 45 grains of RL-15. I have thought about switching powders to varget. Not too sure. Could somone give me advice.

Posts: 121 | Location: Central VA | Registered: 13 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two .308 rifles. One has an 18 inch barrel and the other is 24 inches. 46gr. of rl-15 and a 150gr. ballistic tip gives me 2740 fps. in the 18 incher, and 2890 in the 24 inch barrel. Nosler shows 2958 fps. for that load.

Posts: 388 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out the reloading pages by the same guys that host this awesome forum http://www.accuratereloading.com/reload.html
The work they did with the .308 Steyr Scout has a 20" bbl.

Posts: 54 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 12 February 2003Reply With Quote
<Zeke>
posted
The Nosler #4 book was really underloaded. The #5 manual might be similar. I made my first handloads for my 270 from the #4 book and the top load barely got the bullet out of the gun.

This link has lots of 308 loads: http://stevespages.com/308_13_150.html (Thanks Steve)

The Speer Manual lists RL-15 loads as 45gr-49gr for a top speed of 2919 using a 150gr bullet. The test rifle had a 22" barrel.

So you might be loading a little light.

The Nosler manual seems to be a little optimistic with their data.

Good Luck
ZM

<eldeguello>
posted
There is no doubt that your shorter barrel will, to some extent, explain the velocity difference. However, you could just as easily have a 24" tube, and still be getting the lower velocities. WHY? Because ALL GUNS ARE INDIVIDUALS, and if any two were to give identical results, it would be strictly an accident!! This is a fact that a lot of people seem to have difficulty accepting!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the info and websites. I think im going to give it a stiffer charge of powder and see waht happens. Then if nothing really changes i just might try varget.

Posts: 121 | Location: Central VA | Registered: 13 February 2003Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
I just finished OCW load development for the 150 grain Speer Hot-Cor and RL15. ( .308 win ) The conclusion was that 46.3 grains of RL15 is the optimal charge, and this same charge should net excellent results in your rifle. Seating depth adjustments should be all you need to tune the load to your barrel's preference. Leave the 46.3 grain charge (once verified safe in your rifle) as is. Begin with a caliber's depth of the bullet in the case, which is to say seat the bullet until the flat base is about .30" below the rim of the case.

Again, work up to 46.3 grains carefully... But once pressure tolerance is established, try a five to seven shot group with 46.3 grains of RL15 behind the 150's--I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

RL15 is about the best powder I can think of for getting the most velocity out of the 21 inch tube with the 150's.

Keep us posted...

Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Also, check the barrel type they used in thier tests. I believe it was a custom Lilja with 1-10 twist. That makes a huge difference, especially if you're using a factory barrel.

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
jethro said:
quote:
Also, check the barrel type they used in thier tests. I believe it was a custom Lilja with 1-10 twist. That makes a huge difference, especially if you're using a factory barrel.
What he said is correct!! He could have added "You could have a custom Lilja with 1-10 twist made just before or just after the one they used, and the results could still have been as different as if you had used a factory barrel!!"