Find
Notify
Tools

7,5x55 Swiss?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi,
A friend of mine mentioned that while in Switzerland, he had obtained one of the Swiss straight-pull rifles in 7,5x55.

It seems that ammo is scarce as democrats on AR, but according to Norma the same bullets as in the .308 can be used.
This sounds odd to say the least, as the cartridge drawing indicates .304" bullet dia.
Can anyone confirm if this is correct?

- Lars

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

Posts: 556 | Location: Finland | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
The 7.5 Swiss does indeed use .308" bullets quite nicely. It also uses .284 Winchester brass opened to take those .308" bullets, just fine.

I use both factory Swiss ammo, and handloads with .308 bullets in both my Swiss International Martini and my K-31 Swiss army rifle. No noticeable difference in either. Of course the Swiss cartirdge has been around since the late 1880's, and cartridge dimensions were changed in about 1911, IIRC. It may be that bullet diameter was increased at that time, but to be honest, I never noticed if that was one of the changes when I was reading the background material on both versions.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Drawing is wrong. some will argue about it being maybe .307" or .306" due to their bullet or bore measurements. WFBern(gov fact) specs call for a .3087" projectile. The old 3 groove pre 1911 barrels would measure about .304" but when one gets that measurement remember that the measurement is being taken from the bottom of one groove to the top of the land just across from it.

Posts: 267 | Location: Tampa | Registered: 01 March 2002Reply With Quote