THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    New member from Germany searching for a .30-06 SST load!

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New member from Germany searching for a .30-06 SST load!
 Login/Join

posted
Hi ,

i am new to the forum. I live in germany and hunt also there. So if there are any questions regarding germany (hunting, shooting, translating) you are welcome to ask Smiler

I am seraching for loading data for the .30-06 Hornady SST 180grs bullets an N160 powder. I would like to use the load in my Krico 700 rifle!

Maybe somebody has the data!

Thanks so far

Regards David

One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
Try here:
http://www.lapua.com/fileadmin/user_upload/esitteet/Vih...nalReloguide2008.pdf

Scroll down to the 30/06 section.

N160 is a little on the slow side for a 30/06.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Straight from the Hornady 7th Edition reloading manual:

180 gr SST and N160

Start: 48.2 grs at 2300 fps
MAX: 55.3 grs at 2600 fps

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
David

Welcome to the forum. What city in Germany are you from?

Best wushes, Bill

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi,

i live in a smaller town near düsseldorf!

@slowpoke jim:
a friend loaded a few cartridges for me with the SST. He had 58grs N160 in it.
It was a proofed load.Unfortunally it was not precise!
I am a little bit surprised that Hornady makes the MAX load by 55.3grs

one of us
posted Hide Post
David, I know a lot of reloaders (in particular from Europe, it seems?), look for reloading data for a particular bullet. That can make sense if you can find such specific data, but often data is not available for a specific bullet. That may not be as bad as it seems on the surface. With time, you'll learn that you can use data which has been worked up using bullets of similar construction - e.g. lead core bullets, mono-metals, or bullets with long bearing surfaces etc etc - and similar weight.

Regardless of whether you have data for the specific bullet/powder you are looking for, you'll have to observe the basic rule for reloading: You have to work up the load for your particular rifle, using your particular lot of powder and primers, seating depth etc etc.

Should you have found loads worked up with the bullet you happen to be looking for, this is a slight advantage. But only *slight*. It in no way makes the process of working up your particular load unnecessary.

Quite apart from safety issues, what may shoot in one rifle may be totally impossible in the next. So any idea of being able to adopt other peoples' "pet loads" should also be viewed with a certain scepticism. But of course, one can use the experience of others as a starting point (assuming all the safety rules - work up own load - are observed).

Good luck with your .30-06 load.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by david.30-06:
a friend loaded a few cartridges for me with the SST. He had 58grs N160 in it.
It was a proofed load.Unfortunally it was not precise!
I am a little bit surprised that Hornady makes the MAX load by 55.3grs

It is very common for data to vary from manual to manual. It really only reflects the differences in the conditions under which the loads were developed: difference in chamber and bore size, powder lot, brass and primers used etc etc.

Sometimes you find data for a particular bullet/powder combination in different manuals. I have experienced cases in which one manual suggests a max load which is lower than the starting load of the next manual.

Reloading is not an absolute science. Work up loads in your own rifle!

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

one of us
posted Hide Post
Alliant's RL19 (double base powder, not single base as N160 and manufactured by Norma) shoots Nosler PT 180 grain very well out of MY rifle.

The recommended loads from US sources are sometimes quite conservative when you calculate pressures in QuickLoad.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
David
Welcome.
I'm curious as most of us colonials here in the New World are about availibilty of reloading gear and such, costs.
Does the government have any special restrictions on purchases of powder, primers?
I have one 30-06, a Winchester 95. I use nothing but cast bullets loaded with jacketed bullet data. This way I can save my money for 168 grain BTHPs for my AR10s.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arkypete:
Does the government have any special restrictions on purchases of powder, primers?
Jim

Jim, I'm sure David will chime in as well. But just in the meantime...

Regarding reloading in general and powder in particular, Germany lives up to its overregulated image. In order to buy powder (and therefore reload) in Germany, you have to pass a state prescribed exam. I'm not entirely sure what the exam covers, but I believe all the legal (as opposed to technical or safety) issues make up an important component. Once you have passed the exam, you are licensed to buy powder, but your license can expire, in which case you are out of luck again. Even with license in hand, there are limits as to how much (5 lbs??) and how many types of powder you can buy in a year. Don't ask me what the purpose of this all is, but I'm sure the "Powers That Be" found their valid reasons with usual Germanic thoroughness. You therefore often find German reloaders try to use the same powders for as many applications as possible. There are also limits on how much and under what conditions (containers etc) powder can legally be stored in a home - although to be fair such rules probably exist in many countries, possibly motivated by the need to reduce fire hazards.

In other European countries, rules are much less draconian. Sadly, in the name of European harmonization, I'm sure somebody will argue that rules must be made uniform throughout the European Union... Witness the current moves to create a central European gun registry. As far as gun ownership is concerned, we are on a downhill slope in Europe, and it is slippery...

- mike

one of us
Picture of HankinColorado
posted Hide Post
Hello David and welcome to the forum...

From a transplanted fellow German now living in Colorado USA

Hank

Life, it's good...

Posts: 225 | Location: Colorado Springs USA | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi,
unfortunally mho is absolutly right! You have to pass a exam which costs about 100-200€ IIRC you can store 3kg of NC powder in your house.
And yes germany is a overregulated country in some issues.
The gun laws are strict but there are more stricter countrys around , such as GB or the Nederlands or australia.
For hunters the laws are Ok i think.
I dont get why it is allowed to speed on the Autobahn as fast as you can and on the otherhand not allowed to by guns if you are not a sportshooter, hunter or collector just for the legal reason of selfdefense!Though its fun Cool
I think results from our history especally because of the f***ing Nazis!

But on the other hand germany has some good facts.
Anyhow sometimes i am thinking about emigration. But the question is in which country? Confused

ok we lost the path...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by david.30-06:
The gun laws are strict but there are more stricter countrys around , such as GB or the Nederlands or australia.

So true, no country has a monopoly on senseless laws, rules and regulations. And once on the books, even obviously meaningless rules are never rescinded. Case in point: the countries in which military calibers are (still) disallowed. Owning and using a .300 RUM for hunting is totally legal, but not the .308 Win... Go figure Confused

It is true about the Germans still having stretches of Autobahn with no speed limits. Bless their souls!! A breath of fresh air in an overregulated world!

- mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes. However, this little breath of fresh air does by far no compensate all the other liberties we have lost.

I would very happily give up speeding on the Autobahn could I pay tax rates like in the US or Irland.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote