New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cutting shorter a Neck die?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For you machinists, Can a 9.3x62 neck size die be cut shorter and beveled to use as a neck die for a 9.3x57? Or is it metal too hard (hardened) to cut shorter on a lathe?

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JD,
I had a Redding die shortened by my Gunsmith. He did it while I waited. I'm thinking he used a surface grinder, not sure on that.
The die got shortened, none the less and in less than 5 minutes.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ua sing a surface grinder would be easiest, but I've done it on a lathe with a carbide bit. .."Very slowly".

Those dies are very hard.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
I had my GS shorten a Hornady 204 FLS die and open up the neck to use it as a form and bump die for my 20 VarTarg. He did it in the lathe with a carbide cutter.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did your guys Gunsmiths cut an exact measurement off or just cut it just "enough" to work
I will be using the die for both cartriges anyway.

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
I know for mine I gave the GS exact amount to take off the die.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've cut several dies to use for case forming. I used a carbide grit hacksaw blade. There were several brands of dies. All were hard only on the surfaces. Once through, a good regular blade would cut it until you hit the interior surface.

Bruce

Posts: 217 | Location: SW WA | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote