New
Find
Notify
Tools

.375 Ackley data
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Now that I have my new .375 Ackley, I did a search for reloading data on this forum and find that the archives are no longer there. Would those of you who have previously posted data please do so again, so I can get to shooting?

Thanks.

Posts: 283 | Location: Florida | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I'd venture a guess that 375 data Weatherby would be within a few %? HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
375 Wby and 375 Ackley Magnum case capacities are almost identical, so loading dat for both (and the 375 JRS) can be used. A word of caution, however, if you are reading the Wolfe publishing Wildcats book (the thick one) be really cautious about the 375 H & H Improved data. Those boys were loading 91 gr of 4350 for 2900 fps with 300 gr bullets, and that is way too hot. HTH - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do no have enough sources on my bench for .375 Weatherby either, so would appreciate some load data from those who use the .375 Ackley. There was plenty of data here in the past, but it seems to have been lost.

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
Try doing a search for the past data.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
I shoot Re-15 and never go heavier than the 270XLC in my barrels. My loads are pretty juiced,as both my barrels will digest more propellant than my friends 375AI's. For that reason,I'll not relate that specific combo.

Start with top end 375H&H data and work your way up...................

<Don Martin29>
posted
Do what Big Stick says. We can't trust the data anyway. Buy a chronograph and learn to read pressure signs.

You can also make your own data from internal programs. LoadBase which is another version of the Powley formulas are avaiable all over the web.
From a Powley formula you can use imr powder which is what I would use anyway.

I looked up my load for the 270 gr bullet with imr 4350 and it's right in the middle of the suggested and maximum loads in the Calculator program!

How can you have more fun than this?

Look for that freeware, or buy the Calculoader program and keep in touch and tell us what load you might use. I will double check it for you.

I just filled two of my cases with water and the average capacity is 107.3 grs of water. The Calculoader program says a .375 Improved is 104.1 grains. We are both right as who knows what reamer was used and where? So for my chamber the Calculoader says 79 gr of imr 4350 is a starting load at 2590 fps. The Powley formula in LoadBase shows a higher load at 27XX fps. You should get there on your own. Even if it were a standard cartridge the max working load is an individual thing.

[ 09-12-2002, 23:44: Message edited by: Don Martin29 ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, gents. I appreciate the suggestions. But I have been reloading and reading pressure signs for standard and wildcat cartidges for 35 years, and have been using a chronograph since Ken Oehler started making them in his garage in Texas way back when (that one cost me about a month's pay, but Ken convinced me I had to have one).

I like to have as much DATA as possible for any cartridge, particularly a wildcat, and am looking for DATA from the experiences of those who have used the .375 Improved. I have Ackley's manuals, but there are more recent bullets and powders, and one can never have too much DATA.

Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, the A-square, Barnes, and Nick Harvey manuals all list data for 375 Wby/AI/JRS. Also, I seem to recall the Hodgdon manual 26 had 375 Wby data in it (#27 doesn't). A-square gives 80-89 gr of IMR 4350 with their 300 gr solid. 84-88 gr of either 4831, same bullet. 84-92 gr of RL19, same bullet. 88-91.5 gr of RL 22. Barnes gives 68-72 gr of IMR 4064, 68-72 gr of IMR 4320, 79-84 gr H4350, 76-81 gr of H414, and 67-72 gr of RL15, all with the 300 gr bullet. HTH - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote