New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loading the 35 Whelen
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I admit to being a complete novice on doing wildcat loading. But I recently received a .35 Whelen from an elder relative. Made on a FN Mauser action. I don't know who installed the barrel.

Here is my question. I note the 30.06 case is 2.494 and I note the 35 Whelan is supposed to be the same 2.494. How does one keep that dimension when using 30-06 cases to load for 35 Whelen I ask Because doesn't that brass shrink when one stretches it out to make a larger space for the larger bullet?

KJK

Posts: 681 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
It will probably be slightly shorter after necking it up but the difference will not be detrimental to anything and it will stretch out after a few firings.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You probably aren't gonna crimp anyway, so case length isn't critical. I recommend Alliant PP 2000-MR for bullets over 225 grains, and Varget for the lighter bullets. It's a great cartridge, you'll have fun!

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Would love to see loads that easily get a 225 TSX to 2650 at standard COAL>

And I believe Powder Valley had 35 W brass from Norma on sale recently.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
35 Whelen is not a wildcat; been SAAMI supported for a while now. Case length is only important when it is too long; and only matters when it it is too short if you are crimping. And as long as it is uniformly short, it still doesn't matter.
I use Ken Waters pet loads for 35 Whelen load data. His is real world data, not computer generated. He got 2564 with a 250 grain Hornady.

Posts: 17122 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since I use Reloader Powder for almost everything else I load for, I thought I would use Reloader 15 for this 35 Whelen along with 250 grain bullets of some type or another. I'm not too worried about speed and supreme accuracy. Safety is high on the list though.
Thank you for the information.

KJK

Posts: 681 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some people try to hot rod the Whelen but a 250 at 2450 is a hammer on game, no need to beat up yourself or the gun. That's what I will load it at for Namibia next year, 20 years after I took a Whelen to Africa the first time.

Posts: 1471 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Reloader 15 has been my go to powder for the Whelen before I ran out of it.
Ive necked up several 06 cases, it works fine.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using Ken Waters Pet Loads data for my .35 Whelen for more than 30 yrs. now, for 200gr. bullets IMR 3031 and for 225gr. IMR 4064. Cast bullets 15gr. of Unique with bullets from 200-225gr.. All loads give outstanding accuracy and the jacketed bullets Hornady 200gr. RN Inter-lok and Sierra Game king 225gr. Spitzer give excellent performance on whitetails.

Posts: 385 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 22 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
Would love to see loads that easily get a 225 TSX to 2650 at standard COAL

According to GRT 59 gr. of PP 2000-MR under the 225 TSX @ 3.32" OAL gives 2650 fps in a 24" barrel at only 53 kpsi. Any modern bolt action can take 60 kpsi easily, so you have lots of room to play with.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
.30-06 brass is great for reforming!

I have made .270W, 280AI, 8mm/06AI, 338/06 and 9.3x62 mm out of it.

Yes it ends up shorter----SO WHAT! That means that you have a whole lot less trimming to do ( a chore which I hate!)

Hip

Posts: 1829 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you want it longer just use 270 win brass.
it's gonna shrink when you fire it to fit the chamber anyway.

Posts: 4980 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using resized .30-06 brass for my cast bullet loads for years with no problems what so ever. Trim them all to a uniform length and load 'em up, easy peasey !

Posts: 385 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 22 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whelenite:
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
Would love to see loads that easily get a 225 TSX to 2650 at standard COAL

According to GRT 59 gr. of PP 2000-MR under the 225 TSX @ 3.32" OAL gives 2650 fps in a 24" barrel at only 53 kpsi. Any modern bolt action can take 60 kpsi easily, so you have lots of room to play with.

Thanks. What is GRT, if I may?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GRT is Gordon's Reloading Tool, a free ballistic software program you can download off the net. Fun to play with!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been trying cfe 223 recently for my Whelen, think it could end up being my goto powder for this cartridge.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Back in the day we all just shot Milsurp 30-06 ammo in our 35 Whelen's to fireform, never a hitch.. Its frowned upon today, but Ive seen this done a thousand times or more so Im good with it for myself at east. Whatcha thnk?

I, not long agoo observed a friend fireform 100 30-06s in his 338/06 and said he has done that for years.

Most of this took place in the 1950s, but it was practiced long before my time when reloading was looked down upon old men in bib overalls and tobacco juice dribbling off a tooth pick and they shot pin holes in paper off the bench with a spoon and powder! and wildcatting was the norm. These were this kids heros, them and cowboys..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote