Find
Notify
Tools

Expected 308 AI velocities
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted
I am interested in building a short .30 cal. bolt rifle for treestand hunting whitetails and shooting pigs from an airboat in the LA bayou.

I'll probably use a stainless action (b/c of the water) from either Remington (700 or Mod 7) or Winchester.

200 yds would be a max distance, so accuracy is hardly a concern coming from a bolt gun w/ a custom barrel, proper bedding, and trigger.

Bullet selection and excellent brass led me to choose the 308 Win or 308 AI.

1. What do you guys think about the 308 AI? 2. How much increase in velocity is expected from the improved design?

Thanks!

M.D.L.

P.S. It's good to be back!

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
M.D.L

I recall reading that the .308 AI did not offer any gains over the standard .308.

If you dod need a touch more, you could
try the various "light magnum" loadings for
the .308 or maybe go to a .358??

regards

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<DuaneinND>
posted
A realistic velocity gain for a 308AI is 100-150fps, any more than this and you are operating at alot higher chamber pressures than the parent case. The 308 win is basically an "improved" case by design, with the exception being the 20* shoulder. I like AI cases, but for the application you are talking about I would stay with the standard 308 case.

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your replies fellas.

Mainly I considered the Ackley Imp. to counteract the velocity loss caused by a shorter barrel (21-22").

Everyone knows that the 30-30 has accounted for many-a-deer, but even from a tree, I can't stand the idea of dipping below the 308 Win power curve. I REFUSE to wound and lose an animal. But at the same time, I hate to wield around a 26" bbl 280 Ackley with a 10X scope for shots under 100 yds.

The little gain of the 308 WIN over the 308 AI makes a factory SS Rem. Model 7 w/ synthetic stock sound pretty good. I rarely keep a stock bbl on a rifle for very long, so I guess I could change it out with a different caliber if I was disappointed.

Sorry for thinking out loud! Sometimes I feel like this is an Alcoholics Anonomous meeting... it just feels good!!

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
<joshua>
posted
If you want velocity than the 308 and still stay with a short action, go with the 300 Win Short mag. If you don't need all that power and don't mind paying custom rifle price and high cost brass, go with a 30/284 Win. You'll get approx 200 fps more specially if you AI it. I don't have one but did a little bit of researching on this subject. If I were you, I'd just go with the 300 WSM. josh