New
Find
Notify
Tools

Neck sizer or full length?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
So I'm about to buy some dies (since I'm going to start reloading) and there's so much to look at it makes my head spin.

All RCBS: neck sizing dies, 2 piece neck sizers, full length, then there is one marked "2 die set" (which is the only one in stock at midwayusa.com

Will the regular RCBS 2 die set work fine or should I get the full length or what?

Posts: 510 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Better yet, get the Regular Redding sizing dies(2 die set), I like them better than RCBS, but both will work fine, these dies are full length dies, you'll need them for sure, unless you don't want your rounds to go all the way in your chamber some day, neck sizing dies are usually used for competition shooting, Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Jay on the Redding dies. I have RCBS also, but think the Redding are better quality. For a standard rifle chambering, get the 2-die set. If you later decide to upgrade to a better set from Redding, they will take your old dies in on trade.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And if you decide you want to neck-size, see if Lee does not make a Collet die for your caliber - if not, you can have them make you one for $50. The Collet die is a great option for neck sizing - no need to lube cases, sizes cases with very little runout. There are dies out there that might give you equivalent quality in the end result, but they are usually FAR more expensive than the Collet dies.

And just for the record: when can one use neck sizing, and why? Generally, you can only neck size when you load brass fired in the same rifle as they are reloaded for. Generally, this is for bolt-actions only. Why: does not increase case length as much as full length sizing - less trimming. Some people believe neck sizing (with a PROPER die) is advantageous in terms of accuracy.

A Redding 2-piece (seater and FL dies) die set plus a Lee Collet die is not a bad setup. Even better, if your caliber is available is a Collet die, a Redding body die and a Forster (or Redding) competition seater. No need to get the Forster with the micrometer adjustments. Why is this setup better: it avoids the expanders found in all FL dies which often create more trouble than they are worth (runout). It allows you to neck size with the Collet (very little runout), and when you need to, you can bump back the shoulder of the case with the body die (requires lubing) in a separate step. Unfortunately, Redding body dies are not available in all calibers - neither are Forster seating dies. The Forster seater is as good as the Redding competition seater, but quite a bit less expensive. Price for the whole setup: maybe 70-80$ - more expensive than a regular 2 piece die set, it costs to get the quality, unfortunately.

Good luck - mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been handloading for ~6 years, and I now at near the same state of mind as mho.

When I started, someone told me to get an RCBS rockchucker kit, some RCBS dies, some shell holders, some powder, some primers, and some brass.

That was not bad advice, but it was not as good as it could have been had it been known where my interests would lead me.

That is, I have become obsessed with accuracy:
1) deer hunting: 6" group at 100m
2) varmint hunting: 1" group at 100m
3) benchrest competition: .2" group at 100m

I wanted my handloading to support my quest to go from deer hunting accuracy level to varmint hunting level.

Now all I use from the Rockchucker kit is the scale and the press.

Now all the new dies I buy will be the Forster. Not Ultra seater either. They are too expensive, and I can get precise seating with thier original "benchrest seater die".

I don't buy directly from Forster as they want full retail. I get them discounted from Lock Stock and Barrel, Graff and Sons, or Sinclair.

And even with Forster dies, I take the expander ball out.

Now I have 36 Lee and RCBS die sets that gather dust as I upgrade to Forster.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote