New
Find
Notify
Tools

Min/Max: .270 110gr Barnes
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Fella @ range yesterday pursuaded me I should try the 110gr Barnes in my .270Win for antelope.
He raved about the bullet, saying he has taken several deer & antelope with it. Says they drop at the shot. He has not had any problems with "penciling thru". He is a handloader too.

When I looked in my Barnes Manual No. 3 (I do not have No. 4.) it did not show that bullet &, hence, no load. Their website has loading data for the bullet, but only for two powders, not including IMR 4831.

IMR 4831 works well in my rifle, a M98 FN Mauser. I have this powder & want to use it. I can start low with a charge for a 110gr bullet from some of the other manuals & work up.
Or, I can call Barnes.

It occurred to me that soneone on here may have, so to speak, already have "invented the wheel". So, can anyone give me a min & max for
IMR 4831 for 110gr Barnes for 270 Win?

As an aside, a couple of years ago I worked up a load for same gun: 140gr Barnes TSX, 54.0 grs IMR 4831 (Barnes max is 56.0gr) for five shot chron'd avg. of 3225 fps, with stand. dev of 153.5. Groups .75". It has a short throat; never had it checked but figure it also has tight chamber.

When working up the load I started to get signs of high pressure at 55.0gr, and signs were definite with 56.0gr. So, I settled on 54.0. No sign of high pressure and best accuracy.

I was surprised by the velocity I got with a mid-range powder charge, two gr above min and two gr below max.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, the fellow at the range gave you some good information. I went to New Mexico last month and hunted antelope with my 270 WSM. I used the 110 grain Barnes Tipped TSX and was pleased with the performance.

We made a good stalk and crawled to within 200 yards of my buck. At the shot you could hear that 110 grain Barnes smack that buck and he staggered around a little and pitched over. Bullet performance was excellant, good expansion, complete penetration.

My dad used the 80 grain Tipped TSX in his .257 Wby Mag with great results as well. He wound up shooting his buck at a lasered 580 yards. When he shot that buck went down like he was struck by lightning, never even kicked. Great bullet performance again.

In regard to loads, the latest Barnes manual (#4) has loads for the 110 grain TSX, but not the tipped version. You could use them with no problems. They do not, however, list IMR 4831 in their 270 Winchester data. Provided you started out low, you could use another manual's data, the TSX bullets are pretty forgiving regarding building high pressures.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I used to reload for a 270 for a lot of years until giving that rifle away to a son.

I would think that you would be able to start out at the load that you were using for the 140 grainer and watch for pressure signs as you increase the loading of powder. You've found the sweet spot for that particular rifle and with a reduced weight in the bullet I would guess that this method would be productive for you.

I've also heard great things about the 110 grainers in the TSX format and if I were still in the business with a 270 I would also be looking at them. With all of the improvements that the manufacturers are making in the bullet designs it seems like a fella could up the total performance with a lighter premium made bullet traveling now at a higher velocity with great penetration. Good luck

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

As an aside, a couple of years ago I worked up a load for same gun: 140gr Barnes TSX, 54.0 grs IMR 4831 (Barnes max is 56.0gr) for five shot chron'd avg. of 3225 fps, with stand. dev of 153.5. Groups .75". It has a short throat; never had it checked but figure it also has tight chamber.

With a load like that, why are you looking at another bullet, although a S.D. of 153.5 is nothing to get excited about.

Posts: 94 | Location: Southern Oregon | Registered: 30 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bear- For antelope I like flat & fast bullet. Have had good results with Barnes, on large animals with 338WM. However, have only shot one critter with 140gr Barnes TSX, a springbok.

Would not hesitate to use the 140gr Barnes TSX for pronghorn. You must have missed what I said about conversation at the range with guy who raved about the 110gr Barnes. I decided I wanted to give it a try. Besides, I like to tinker and if I come up with something more to my liking, well all the better.

Some folks use 45-70 and other slow moving rounds for antelope- fine , but not my cup of tea.

Was not excited about the S.D.; just included it as data. Would like it to have been much less, but not unhappy with it. More important is what it does on paper. It consistently prints 3/4" three shot groups; suits me fine.

Sorry if I said something to bind your shorts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Didn't bind my shorts any, Olguy! I figured it was one of those must try propositions. After all, that is what the loading bench is for. Besides, we need to do our part and at least purchase what the bullet manufacturers have worked so hard promoting. It's called Shooters Stimulus Syndrome.

Posts: 94 | Location: Southern Oregon | Registered: 30 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tested 58.0 to 58.5 grains of IMR 4831 behind a 110 grain .270 bullet in a Browning A-bolt with 22" factory bbl. The bullet was not Barnes but Speer in a pointed bullet, so caution is warranted. The groups went from only four rounds out of five hitting an 8 1/2" X 11" sheet at 100 yards using 58.5 grains, down to moa at 58.0 grains. Primers were CCI standard.

Posts: 38 | Location: Between sunrises. | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amen Bear; I liked the Shooter Stimulus Syndrome; I think that's likely the only stimulus most of us are likely to get.

Sunrise- thanks. The Hornady Manual gives, for a 110gr slug, a min of 52.3gr and max of 59.6gr of IMR 4831. Lyman has min of 53.5gr and 59.5 max for IMR 4831. So, your 58.0-58.5 is within their parameters. I think then I should be safe starting out at around 55.0-56.0gr.

Thanks also to the rest who replied. Is this a grreat site or what?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Send an e-mail to Ty Herring at Barnes and he will send you all the data that they have for that bullet. According to Ty, Barnes tests every single powder that they list in their manual. No extrapolation! That's why it takes them so long to come out with updates.

I have considered trying that bullet myself. But then my 243 might get cobwebs. Can't have that!

Posts: 185 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote