New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does Anyone Recognize This Tool?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello: I am hoping that a viewer of this forum might recognize or have some knowledge about what I believe is an old priming tool. I hopefully have presented here 4 photos of this tool which I found in the basement of an old house I once owned. It is made of cast iron and the only markings on it are C.V.Schmitt, Minneapolis Minn and the word patented. I have inserted a case into what appears to be the case holder - the rim of the case slips into a groove in a housing which is activated by the handle. Moving the handle moves the housing backwards, shoving a rod forward through the housing towards the case's primer pocket, and pushing a primer into the case. The housing appears to have the ability to hold a small stack of primers. The unit also has several methods of adjustment built into its mechanism. Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this item.

-

-

-

-

Posts: 226 | Location: Western Maryland | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow! I have no clue, but I love the whizz bang gizmo appearance.

Posts: 258 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland US of A | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
I take it it doesn't swage primer pockets or crimp primers? Is that a rimless case you have in there? I've never seen this particular tool...

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know what it is, but it reminds me of an old bullet swaging tool.
In the 60's, someone made a horizontal press for swaging bullets that looks very similar. The reason for the horizontal design (on the machine I'm thinking of) had to do with the ferocious amount of leverage need to swage bullets.
I wonder if they offered other reloading accessories to go with it?

Posts: 588 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I'll guess it's a primer seater, because mil primer pocket classically need to be swaged to take comm primers....

so, is it just a primer seater and/or case mouth beller?

jeffe

Posts: 39721 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ALL I SEE IS LITTLE XES WHERE THERE SHOULD BE PICTURES..........

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tasco 74;
I'm with you! I'd like to see what they're talking about! Kinda got my curiosity up!

Chuck

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello again - the pictures were working earlier in the day, but as of right now (3:00 pm, 9/18)I am only getting one of the four to show. The host site seems to be working okay - perhaps Hurricane Isabel is playing with them. You can view them at the following web address if you like:

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?selected=486237

The cartridge case I have inserted into the "case holder" is a .243 Winchester. The rod which gets shoved forward through the housing never extends beyond the housing -thus I'm pretty sure it is designed to seat primers. I would provide a better close-up photo of the housing area, but Isabel has blanketed my area in gloom and there won't be enough light for a close-up photo until Sat. at the earliest.

Posts: 226 | Location: Western Maryland | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You are right. It is a priming tool. It appears to be the predecessor of the Bonanza/Forester priming tool. The magazine is a folded steel or aluminum square tube that will appear to have about 1/2 of one side cut out. The difference between lg and sm primers is the thickness of that tubes walls. Some primers had a stop to regulate seating depth. Check for it. Heck the Bonanaza tubes "look" like they may fit. Get a couple and try;what have you lost.

Posts: 231 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seldom seen today the Schmitt reloading press was state of the art way back when. A reloading press that had resizing & loading dies as well as re-decaping. It�s illustrated in �Complete Guide to Reloading� by Sharpe.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure, so I'll go along with the other guys and suggest it's a primer seater!
Neat old piece of equipment, probably worth $$$$ to!
Chuck

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tasco 74:
ALL I SEE IS LITTLE XES WHERE THERE SHOULD BE PICTURES..........

I get a message that the user has exceeded is limit for the day.

I'll try again in a day or two---my curiosity is also aroused!

the_captn

Posts: 238 | Location: earth | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
akguy is right.

First I went for the B&M hand book where (p.20) they offer the "Model 28 Improved Straightline Reloading Tool" which works horiontally for depriming, priming, neck sizing, expanding, and bullet seating (don't know how they persuade the powder to stay in place).

Now knowing what this kind of tool is good for, I went to Naramore and Whelen - no success, but Sharpe's "Complete Guide to Reloading" mentions the B&M tool (p.224), a Hall Bench Loading Tool (p.229), and a (bit different than on your photo) Schmitt Tool. I was not able to find it described in the text though.

Posts: 367 | Location: former western part of Berlin, Germany | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the opinions and information. I apologize that the photos are working sporadically, but here, again, is the web address where you can view them if you so desire:

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?selected=486237

regards - pagris

one of us
posted Hide Post
This tool looks like the B&M reloading tool without the reloading dies. That is why it is hard to figure out what it does. This is only the press. - Lew

Posts: 66 | Location: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: 19 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of milosmate
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by waitaminit:
[QB]akguy is right.

Yes its the Schmitt tool as on page 213 Complete guide to reloading ,second edition.

Milosmate

Posts: 217 | Location: Christchurch,New Zealand | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, seen that before...my Dad had one. After he passed on I gave it to a friend - too darn complicated for me. If I remember right, it should come with a hollow square shaped tube about the size of a pencil for holding the primers.

Posts: 56 | Location: Western Washington, USA | Registered: 25 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's a Sasquatch ear wax remover.

Posts: 223 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 11 July 2002Reply With Quote