one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted
Varmint Guy likes the Wilson.

What's y'alls preference? Reasons why.

Back to the still.

Spelling, I don't need no stinkin spelling

The older I get, the better I was.

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a wilson, it cuts perfectly everytime, the only downside is it needs to be wiped down with oil after every use, or it will rust.

Brian

Posts: 27 | Location: Sanger, TEXAS | Registered: 30 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends how many cases you have to trim. I use a Wilson for BR type work, but for F class, I use an RCBS power trimmer. I agree with the comment about the Wilson dies rusting with handling...totally aggravating! Your choice depends on how precise you want to be. If you have to take off a lot of metal, the Wilson dies are a real pain. I could never get a power drive to work.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of glockmeister71
posted Hide Post
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=481398

I have on of these and I'm real happy with it.Everything about it is easy.

Posts: 145 | Location: Knoxville,TN. | Registered: 12 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Giraud trimmer is simply the best.

Giraud Tool

Posts: 257 | Location: Radio Free Texas | Registered: 20 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
I use the Lee system. I put the case holder in my variable speed drill and starts cutting. At the same time I debur and shine the cases. Lenghts never varied more than .02mm, which is more than good enough for me.

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I'm with Jaco on using the Lee trimmer. The one thing that aggrevates me is the part of the system that hooks into the power drill gets a crater where the length setting shaft pushes. I'd like them to offer them by the dozen.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Wilson! Nothing even comes close.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66984 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let's see. Can your trimmer cut to +/-0.001", deburr and chamfer inside and out, VLD chamfer the inside *all at the same time* and run 800-1,000 cases per hour?

Giraud - CHECK

Others - (crickets)...

Small-time shooters can get by with less than a Giraud.

Posts: 257 | Location: Radio Free Texas | Registered: 20 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arock:
Let's see. Can your trimmer cut to +/-0.001", deburr and chamfer inside and out, VLD chamfer the inside *all at the same time* and run 800-1,000 cases per hour?

That is pretty impressive, but I guess the price might also be a bit impressive. I f one has to do a lot of case preperation I think it will be worthwhile.

How does the Wilson work?

We have a very small supply of reloading equipment from which to choose in RSA and it depends on if the importer remembered to order enough.

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
One thing I noticed about the wilson. It indexes on the shoulder.

Would this couse a problem.

Also, how does the Forster index.

I have the Lee's but alas, not made for .20 caliber.

Back to the still.

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill Mc, The Forster uses collets to hold the cases to be trimmed. You also need caliber specific pilots to align the case prior to trimming. Also, the opening in the rear housing nneds to be enlarged and you must use a special collet (and pilot) for .45-70 cases. In short, I use the Forster when I don't have too many cases to trim; the Lee when I have quite a few; and the CH-4D, a clone of the Wilson, when I have ~25 or fewer to trim.

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill Mc
The wilson trimmer indexes off thr case head. Therefor no problem. One would be surprised at just how quickly one can trim a large batch of brass.

Arock
The Giraud is very good. But I think one could do as well/fast with a Gracey. One with an aftermarket carbide cutter.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arock:
Giraud trimmer is simply the best.

Giraud Tool

There is no doubt in my mind Giraud is #1, but of the hand powered tools Wilson is by far the best, and smallest to boot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Bill Mc, Doesn't the 204Rug fit into the same Lee Shell Holder as a 223Rem?

If so, you can do that and then clamp the end of the Shell Holder in a Drill Press vise. Lower a 1/2" Bit into the Case Mouth and set the Depth Stop at the Trim distance you want.

You could probably do the same thing with one of the Carbide Cutters that Chamfers and Deburrs "at the same time". Can't remember for sure who it is that makes that little accessory, but it might be RCBS for their Super-Duper Power Trimmer Station (thingy).

Or just panic into one of the Lathe Style Trimmers.

Best of luck to you with the 20cal!

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Coltchris
posted Hide Post
Unless your trimming very high volume, Wilson all the way! Very accurate and fast.

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member

Posts: 837 | Location: NW Michigan | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
Good info so far.

I'll be trying my SIL Forster but who want to borrow stuff all the time.

Still ticked that Lee won't handle the 204.

Back to the still.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I upgraded to the Wilson a few weeks ago and very happy that I did. It is a very accurate tool.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote