Find
Notify
Tools

Budget brass tumbler
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted
I picked up one of those old Proctor silex Ice cream makers from a local thrift store for 10 bucks. I then removed the plastic insert inside that acts as an agitator and paded the inside of the canister with a special foam lining to help churn things and make it more quiet. Will get some media tomorrow and give it a try.

Which is best, corn cob or walnut shell?

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
If anyone is interested I got some corn cob media today, dropped in a lot of sorry looking 30-06 cases and plugged it in for about 2 hours and out comes nice shiny looking brass. The darn thing works great! No more stinking acid cleaning..

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Wstrnhuntr,

Cool!! Too bad I already have a tumbler. When I'm looking to get a bigger one a ice cream maker will be on my short list.

FWIW, I use crushed filbert (hazelnut for you people not blessed to live in the PNW) shells along with a couple capfuls of Dillon's brass polish.

-Steve

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I too have a tumbler already , but a great media that is readily available and cheap is rice. i Saw a post on another site about it, and with a tsp. of Dillon Brass polish, and a bowl full of some old unused rice brass comes out nice and clean. then irun it through a session of Corn media to really polish it nice.

Posts: 257 | Location: Long Beach | Registered: 25 June 2002Reply With Quote