Notify
Tools

pointed vs flat nose
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of greghud
posted
hi all,
i am just wondering about the performance of a flat nose vs a pionted projectile at impact
i realise that long range accuracy will go out the window so to clarify i am shooting a .308 bolt on feral animals pigs, donkeys, mostly and find most shots well under 100 yards so for long range accuracy its not a problem. the winchester 150g psp punches thru and blows a nasty hole out the other side of nearly every animal i have hit. so will a flat nose winchester 150g fnsp hit harder? imparting more energy on the target? i am hoping to keep the projectile in the body and stop them faster.
have been shooting factory and just started reloading (and having a ball) so i see this as a perfect use to talor a round to suit my needs
what do you think?
ps i got a 30 30 to so the projectiles are just sitting there.
thanks greg

Posts: 383 | Location: top end oz | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
You'll probably find that the Flat nose does less damage than the pointed bullets of basically the same construction and weight although it probably will not be enough difference to really notice.

If you want the bullet to stay inside the animal and expand violently upon impact, I would suggest a properly weighted varmint bullet such as Hornady's Amax or maybe a light weight Match King.

If you still get exits w/ those, hit em' in the shoulder.

No Flames, he said he wants it to stay in the animal.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The increased velocity might cause the 30-30 bullets to over-expand before the vitals are reached (esp if you hit a shoulder bone).
The bullets designed for the 30-30 are made with thinner jackets to ensure expansion at the lower velocities produced by rifles of that chambering.
Think of them as Med game bullets at 30-30 velocities, but as Varment bullets at 308Win speeds. You see the same thing if you drive a bullet designed for "normal" out of a hyper mag (for referance see some of the Nosler BT debates, same situation, good expansion at impact speed under 2900, but explosive over-expansion at 3200 impact velocities)

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Given similar construction, weight, and impact velocity a roundnose bullet ought to expand more quickly. As others have mentioned flatnoses intended for the 30 WCF may expand too much at 308 Winchester velocities (but you might try the 170 gr weight just to be sure). And FWIW a flatnose need not affect accuracy though at extended ranges it will affect trajectory.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The flat or round noses should work just fine and have a better chance of staying in the animal. I once used a Speer 150gr flatnose in my 308. I shot a small bear (100-125lbs) at no more than 100 yards. The bullet performed well and did not exit. Rapid expansion and massive damage.
Accuracy tends to be very good with a flat or round nose bullet.
You could of course switch to a 150gr Ballistic Tip, they expand quite rapidly but the base of the bullet will likely still exit.
Joe

Posts: 208 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 25 May 2005Reply With Quote