New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 35 Whelen - Favorite Loads?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
No doubt the listed loads and factory ammo got milder when Remington standardized the cartridge (and chambered it in their 760 pump rifles). I'm convinced there's considerable additional potential with handloads for a modern bolt action rifle. -WSJ

Posts: 300 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rafsob
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Jerry,

I still think the Whelen is a good cartridge, though. I just can't own one of everything! Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Regards,
-Bob F.

Hey Bob,
If you owned a Thompson Center Encore or the Contender, you could own one of everthing.

I Shoot the TC Contender and have at this time four different barrels, .22LR, .44 Mag., .30-30 win.,and the .375 JDJ. I also own an Encore in 209x.50 and will be getting a .35 Whelen barrel soon. I am very impressed witht he TC family of guns and will be working on increasing my stock in barrels.

Raf

Posts: 54 | Location: Hayes, Va. | Registered: 14 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

No doubt the listed loads and factory ammo got milder when Remington standardized the cartridge (and chambered it in their 760 pump rifles). I'm convinced there's considerable additional potential with handloads for a modern bolt action rifle. -WSJ

How very true. Remington screwed up quite a few cartridges because they put them in theor pumg gun and autoloader. The .270 win. and .280 Rem. along with the .35 Whelen immediately come to mind.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks once again. After browsing the manuals and reading experiences here I'll probably try some loads with RL-15 and IMR 4895 with 225 BT's, using standard primers (CCI 200 and Rem 9 1/2). I've got both powders and the BT's on-hand. But first I've got to get some brass delivered and fire form it. Hopefully Midway or Natchez will have some by now. -WSJ

Posts: 300 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Bfaucett:

My barrel length is 24". I use a Pact Cronograph to measure and check all the loads I shoot. One of the reasons I always use a cronograph while working up loads, is simply the difference in all the published data we have available. 100 FPS however, is really no big deal, as many rifles will shoot the same load slower or faster depending on that barrel etc. The 2675 FPS of which I spoke was with a 225 Grain Ballistic Tip, fantastic elk bullet.

As to COL, I set my bullet depth to the throat and chamber of the rifle I am loading for, magazine permitting. Rarely do I ever use anyone else's recommended COL, as they are all starting points, and designed to fit a large number of rifles.
Hope this helps.

Jerry

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks and a question about primers: I noticed that Remington specifies a 9 1/2 M primer for their factory loads, which surprised me since I figured a cartridge with 30-06 sort of capacity and medium burning powders would use a standard large rifle primer.

Do you use magnum primers for your reloads?

Thanks again. -WSJ

one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
WSJ

I have ben loading the 35 Whelen since the early 1970's, and have never used a magnum primer. If you think you should, use them! I would probobly shoot some groups with standard and magnum primers, and the same powder charge, bullet etc. and see which one groups the best, then decide.

My favorite load, is 56 grains of 4064, with a 225 Ballistic Tip, or a 250 Speer Hot Core. This load came from an old Speer Manual, and I have never changed it over the years. I would however, work up to it, and watch for pressure signs. By the way the 225 grain bullet leaves the barrel at about 2675fps, and the 250 at about 2625fps.

Good Luck

Jerry

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote