New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Expander ball .308 dimensions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
To me it pretty much spells out that you are having a seating issue. It's pretty darn hard to beat the runnout before the bullet goes into the case so for some reason it's going in crooked. I've never worked with the redding competition seater but on other dies I know that the seater plug sometimes doesn't match the profile of the bullet tip and this can cause problems. Other than a bad chamferring problem I can't come up with other ideas. When you seat the bullet does it feel like alot more tension than other calibers and dies you use?? Something just is not "holding that bullet" straight!!

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kraky
1. Runout of fired case:close to 0
2. Runout of case neck without expander: .0005" to .001"
3. Runout of case neck with expander and expander moved up close as far as it will go inside die and deprimed separately: .0013" very consistently
4: Neck runout with loaded bullet: still .0013" very consistently
5: Bullet runout right after neck: anywhere from .001" to .007" Seems there is two distict groups of loaded rounds out of 20 rounds loaded. They are either real good 13 of em less than .002" bullet runout, and 7 of em real bad with More than .006" bullet runout. None in between.
6: I have RCBS dies and had issues, so I bought a Redding competition seater die. Big bucks. Still same issue, no real improvement. Only thing to make improvment is to chamfer the mouth inside real, real good. Also seem critical when seating the bullet right when you start the bullet in the brass.

Also, yes my flyers seem nonexistent with the ones that .002" or less with 94 gr of Retumbo, 190gr Matchkings, 215M primer, 300RUM loaded to 3.605" COL. This load will make 1" groups all day at 200 yards of the ammos is straight.

Posts: 459 | Location: Finksburg, MD | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You know I believe your right. This die is sizing way too much. No wonder I can only accuratly get 3 loads out of a piece of brass. I think I am going go with some S bushing dies. I mean I thought RCBS was a good company. And they do send me stuff out if I call for free, but I was thinking last night. I shouldn't have to call that frequently, now should I.

Posts: 459 | Location: Finksburg, MD | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote