New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Interior Ballistics Program?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am putting my Christmas shopping list togther. Who do you think has the best program for calculating pressure/velocity values? Thanks in advance.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like QuickLoad, but it's the only one I've used.

DT

Posts: 196 | Location: NC | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
Another vote for "Quick Load".

A nice bonus is the "Quick Target" (exterior ballistics) program that is also included.

Plus you can add upgrades as they become available.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I have “Load From A Disk†software. It works pretty will.

http://www.loadammo.com/

Does anyone have a link to “Quick Load� I would like to check it out.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
I play with them all, but I do my reloading determinations from the reloading bench and not from the computer desk.

Out of all of them, I like QuickLoad suite the best.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
ricciardelli

Ricciardelli,

All loading information whether it’s from a book, program, word of mouth, the Internet, or a best friend’s receipt, needs to be checked out by starting low and building up. I’m just interested in reloading programs.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
unique: I've played with QuickLOAD, Load from a Disk, LoadTech, NABM, and the Powley Computer.

QL is by far the best when trying to learn about internal ballistics. The manual it comes with is a fine introduction to the field of internal ballistics. It also has a nice database of cases, bullets, etc., and the QuickTarget it comes with is easy to use.

LfaD seemed to suggest reasonable loads and velocities. It's based on Powley's work. From their web site, I see they've added many features to the program recently. My old version was clumsy to use, and I threw it away.

LoadTech predicted some very scary charges at times -- did you know the .30-40-220 can be "safely" loaded to factory .30-06 levels? I can't tell you what version number I had, because I soon threw the thing away. Their customer support was excellent (I received it as a free upgrade to an earlier product), so I wouldn't be surprised if the program has been improved since I tried it.

The Powley is free and will show all the important trends, such as how case capacity will affect performance, etc., but it is very limited in the range of loads it will predict.

I only tried Steve Faber's NABM briefly. Sadly, he no longer supports it, and the trial version I tried didn't work well with my PC. It's mathematical representation of the internal ballistics parameters was certainly the most comprehensive, but I don't think he ever tweaked the model to the point it outperformed QL. QL's representation of powder burning and bullet engraving is crude in comparison. Again, NABM is no longer supported. He now recommends one use a strain gauge, which is sad since a mathematical model can give insights the "real world" can hide.

MickinColo: QL is marketed by NECO. I think they still offer a free trial version for download.

Posts: 980 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote