New
Find
Notify
Tools

new Woodleigh PP 180 grain .277 bullet
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Woodleigh must think there is a good use and therefore a market for this monster. Anyone tried it? I can't find it at the usual big USA distributers. And, of course, there is a paucity of load data. I assume they expect it to be used on the very biggest non dangerous game worldwide.

Posts: 71 | Location: Dover, New Hampshire | Registered: 14 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
In a 270 Weatherby this projectile and it's SD of .334 and BC of .513 would have to be rather close to the perfect combination for soft skinned game hunting anywhere in the world.

Posts: 1433 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was hoping someone would say that. Are you guys keeping them all down under for yourselves or will you let some leak out to the rest of us?

Posts: 71 | Location: Dover, New Hampshire | Registered: 14 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I e-mailed woodleigh and they said they were disappointed that no US distributor had placed an order. They suggested I contact Huntington's to express interest. I did and offered to place a back order. I hope that anyone here who would also have an interest would contact them at buy@huntingtons.com. Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm having fun chating with myself. This thread has generated a remarkably underwhelming response. And I can see why. All you experienced reloaders out there are saying to yourselves "if there were a real need for a 180 grain bullett for the 270 calibers it would have surfaced long before now" A point well taken. Yet Woodleigh is a reputible and smart company...strange they would trot out a superflous product. Anyway, Huntington has a box of them left over from the shot show and I bought it and back ordered a few more. Now, of course I need some load data. I know there were 180 's at some time in the past. Does anyone have that data lying about or do any of you real pros have an idea where I should start looking. Steves reloading pages gives some data. How reliable is he? Thanks for any help.

One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
WG

IMO the reason your talking to yourself is not many care about a 180gr .277 I have a 270 and have taken well over 120 head of game with it, but I also have a 30-06 300WM 338 350 375 and find if I want to shoot bigger bullets I use a bigger gun as they all have there place how boring it would be to have one gun fits all.

Just my .2 cents

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
I'd suggest IMHO that a stabilzed .270 180 grain Woodleigh and an elephant rifle would make the ultimate two rifle battery for world hunting.

Posts: 1433 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been interested in heavy .270 bullets over the years and have tried most of the "old" ones - 160 Nosler, 160 Barnes, 170 speer, 180 barnes. Interestingly all of them have shot very well. There is no good reason for no heavier than 150 gr bullets in the .270 - it certainly has the case capacity to get good velocity. At least pretty close to the .280, 30-06 and on par with the .308 which all commonly use heavier bullets. However, I think most guys who shoot the .270 are happy with 130 gr bullets for most uses, even heavier game.

Not the most recent Barnes manual, but the one before had 180 load data for their originals to a bit over 2700 fps. I don't remember the loads I tried exactly, but know they were in the low 50s of H-4831 with the Barnes Original 180. I was getting close to 2700 fps with a 22" barrel and good accuracy. However, like most .270 shooters I have always used 130-150 gr when out hunting.

Lou

Posts: 333 | Location: Dallas, TX, USA | Registered: 15 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would have to second Hunt Ducks' theory,the 270 is just made for 130-150grain stuff, and even shines with some of the lighter pills offered now, e.g. the 110 AB and TSX.

A 180 with a little more diameter just seems a better match, even if technically it isn't, I don't know enough to speak on that dynamic really, but if I want to run 180 grain pills, I'm going to a 300 WSM at least, or 300 Dakota, WM, or on up the ladder--YMMV

I would be interested in the real 'GURUS' knowledge about effeciency, killing power or whatever as to why there is or is not a technical reason as to why a really heavy bullet in a 270 makes sense or not.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wallace Gaye:
I'm having fun chating with myself. This thread has generated a remarkably underwhelming response. And I can see why. All you experienced reloaders out there are saying to yourselves "if there were a real need for a 180 grain bullett for the 270 calibers it would have surfaced long before now" A point well taken. Yet Woodleigh is a reputible and smart company...strange they would trot out a superflous product.
Hey Wallace and Wallace, You all are doing right well in that conversation. thumb

quote:
Huntington has a box of them left over from the shot show and I bought it and back ordered a few more.
I'm reluctant to ask which Wallace got them. clap Which ever one it is, what are you going to Hunt with it? Are either of you concerned about it "e x p a n d i n g" at what ever velocity a 270Win can get it going?

quote:
... Steves reloading pages gives some data. How reliable is he? ...
Steve is a serious Reloader and posts what he sees. That said, just like all data from the net, it is limited by the number of firearms it has been tested in and the number of shots fired.

You might ask the other Wallace to contact the fine folks at "Woodleigh" and see what they recommend. Wink

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
"if there were a real need for a 180 grain bullett for the 270 calibers it would have surfaced long before now" A point well taken.

I believe that the newer construction techniques in bullet manufacturing has to some degree mitigated the benefit of the "long" or "heavy" for calibre projectiles on most species.

In the past I almost always loaded "heavy" for calibres. Such as 220 and 250 in 30-06, 30-40 Krag, 160's in the various 6.5's and yes, 180's in the 270. I have constructed .22 calibre rifles dedicated to 100gr. pills and .30's for 300 grainers.

Woodleigh makes fine bullets, I have fired more than my fair share of their fine product, but many companies have made errors in judging a market response to a product.

That said, the "newer" mono-metal, partitioned, bonded , hybridized etc , lighter bullets allow for faster,flatter loads reducing "hold-over" at longer range,while at the same time having excellent penetration and terminal performance .

I still shoot my long ,high sectional density heavy bullets of " standard" construction. I like them particularly at short ranges in my "classic" rifles.

However in most situations and most game, they are no longer needed in spite of their established performance legacy.

That has reduced demand for them; Barnes has dropped most of their Original line, Sierra dropped their wonderful 6.5 MM 160gr. Winchester and Remington no longer load 220's in the 30-40 Krag, etc, etc.

They just don't sell--enough.

Fortunately, there are numerous custom and semi-custom makers, and dies to swage your own.

And, you probably can still get them shipped from the Aussies as I did , though it has been awhile and the regulations may have changed.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CoyoteKiller82
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wallace Gaye:
I'm having fun chating with myself. This thread has generated a remarkably underwhelming response.

I noticed that too....when I first happened upon this post, I was intrigued to say the least. I recently purchased a .270 WSM and questioned the fact that there were no 180 gr bullets available at the time (or at least none that I could find, there was plenty of info on bullets that companies USED to make). I, like a lot of other fellows I know, can't afford a plethora of rifles to cover all the given legal game animals in the country in which I live...therefore, a 180 gr .277 cal solidly constructed bullet would be more than a good idea for those of us who would love to bag a Moose, but can't afford a .338 WM or .300 WSM or etc etc etc.

I would really be interested in using some of these on a Moose hunt to see how they perform both balistically and terminally.

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was flipping through a magazine last night and happened to notice that Weatherby has factory 270WbyMag ammo available with a 180gr Partition. The claimed velocity was 3245fps(I think), which seems to be ripping right along.

I looked in my "old" Nosler #3 Manual and they did not have a 180gr 0.277" Partition listed back then. Can't say if they are in a newer Nosler Manual or not.
-----

Did Wallace and Wallace talk themselves out?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll say that there could be a use for it but this question comes to mind why a 180 in .277 but only a 175 in .284 ?

Posts: 152 | Location: Vanc.USA | Registered: 15 November 2003Reply With Quote