Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beginning reloader
 Login/Join

posted
Hello, I recently was given a 300 H&H by my great uncle. It is quite expensive to purshase ammunition. I am looking into getting into reloading and I am curious what I should buy as to equipment, without spending a whole ton of money. Please help me out.

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Consensus is probably going to say get a Rockchucker kit, they're indestructible and pretty friendly to use. I've like the one I used. To be honest a Lee Classic kit is a lot less expensive, and probably about as good. I would get a better scale and powder thrower however.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Here's a pretty good press for cheap-
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=317831

47 5 star reviews and 1 4 star review because a guy tried sizing 50 BMG on it...not too shabby.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Kemp:
I would get a better scale and powder thrower, however.

That's why you want the RockChucker kit.

MidSouth usually has a good price on them.

posted Hide Post
Kenny,

Please check your PM.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 4 | Location: USA | Registered: 24 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kenny,
The 300 H&H is a wonderful calibre and is much more flexible than its Winchester and Weatherby cousins. 180 grain bullets are probably the most popular choice, but I think one would be wise to consider 200 grain bullets if after critters larger than deer.
As mentioned above, RCBS is probably the best place to start, and I would strongly consider them as most local sporting goods stores will have any replacement parts you might need when the time comes. Beats waiting for the mail...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the lee powder scale is difficult to use as it tends to drag on the sides of the balance beam giving incorrect readings that could get you in trouble. the powder measure is made extremely cheap and flimsy. the presses aren't very strong. if at all possible buy the rcbs rockchucker kit.if you only plan on loading 3 or 4 boxes a year you could get by with the lee kit for a lot less money. the most forgiving load that I'm aware of would be h-4831 with a 180 gr. bullet. the 180gr. nosler partition will cleanly take anything in the lower 48. just stay several grains below max. until you get more experience, velocity loss will be insignificant.with hunting loads, utter reliability is much more important than a few extra feet per second.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The first thing you buy is a half dozen USED reloading manuals. Cheap at gun shows. You want to understand the process in and out. COMPLETELY. No more complicated than making scrambled eggs, but if you screw it up, it can KILL you. Burnt eggs shouldn't kill you. (Some of mine, almost...)

Then buy a brand new manual in the style you like/brand, for current data. Powders come and go. Loads do change over time.

B). Ask yourself? How much will I shoot?

c). RCBS is plenty and indestructible and costs money. LEE has the "cheap stuff" that does the job without near the investment. Sure it is not as pretty, but it gets the job done. If you are not going to shoot a couple hundred rounds a year, a Lee hand press [$25.-] and dies [$25.-] would do a couple boxes (20? 40? 60?) in slightly more time, a lot cheaper. What do you need? A Rolls Royce to impress the client or a Nova to get you "back and forth?"

D). BEWARE! It is an addiction and once you start there will always be another "do-dad" to try... Forester case trimmer. Outside neck turner. New lube. If you study the books, you will read about these, set a budget, break said budget... free country, enjoy... (luck).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that you should only get into reloading for fun and recreation;-- not to save a few bucks on ammo.

Being a bit obsessive/compulsive helps too.

I found Richard Lee's book MODERN RELOADING a worthwhile book to start with and it is inexpensive.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kenny, saving money was exactly the reason I started reloading about 25 years ago. But beware, you wont save alot of money, but will be able to shoot alot more for the same money. Being of modest means, ie: poor, I started with a Lee Loader for the 303 British then found a used RCBS Jr press and Ohaus scales at a garage sale. The rest, as they say, is history. I have used lots of equipment over the years and will confess to owning a majority of Lee dies and equipment with no regrets. I absolutely agree with getting some used loading manuals, and READING them, dont just look at the data. I still from time to time look over the instructions as a refresher and enjoy it.
And although I started reloading as a way to save money I quickly developed a sense of pride knowing that I "hand-crafted" the ammo I shot or hunted with.
My .02,
Eterry

Good luck and good shooting.
In Memory of Officer Nik Green, #198, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop G...Murdered in the line of duty 12-26-03...A Good Man, A Good Officer, and A Good Friend gone too soon

Posts: 849 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote