Find
Notify
Tools

Mixed Cases
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted
I have four different brand of 375 H&H cases. Speer nickle cases, W-W Super brass cases, FC brass cases and ELD brass cases. All have been trimmed to within .005" of each other.

I'll use the same primer, powder/charge and bullet for each.

Will using the different cases and/or .005" length difference create a noticable difference in performance?

These rounds will be used for a safari consisting of leopard, buffalo and plains game.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting 300 gr Barnes TSX and Banded Solids in my .375 H&H for a while. I shoot both over 73 gr or R-15. I crimp the TSX in the top groove and the solid against the band with a Lee Factory Crimp die.

I trim the bras with a Lee trim tool. I have Rem and WW brass mixed. It all shoots the same for me. I used to load solids in one and TSX in the other. Did an experiment to see if it mattered and it did not.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36870 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Thanks Lane.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a pressure issue then i mixed cases(old and new norma .308w) overpressure and 2in separate groups.

Not what i would trust for a expensive africa hunt.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SBT,

Ya know, if you're taking the effort you already are; there's probably not gonna be too much difference at the end of the day.

On the other hand; if I was gonna go on a pretty spendy Buffalo, Leopard & Plains Game hunt .....

I'd make the simple investment in a batch of 50 virgin, brand name (whatever you prefer) brass, an MTM box and some brand name, reputable 270 or 300 gr. (my choice) .375" bullets for the task at hand.

Shoot them once for practice.

Then, ensuring no sizing issues, 100% reliability, prep, load them and go on my Safari knowing that one little but perhaps crucial variable has been eliminated to the best of my ability.

Similar to Lane's example above I prefer the 300 gr. Hornady RN's and 79.5 grs. of V-V N160 for the vast majority of my Africa loads because in RSA I hunt bushveld areas. For a Leopard, a fine load for sure but it wouldn't be my preferred load for a Buffalo although it would probably work just fine.

In this case with my once-fired & reliabiliy tested brass I'd probably go for a true premium bullet, Nosler Partition, Swift A-Frame or Barnes T(T)SX's.

Waidmannsheil on your Safari.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Good advise Gerry.

By the way, I'll be using 300 gr Nosler Partitions. If it wasn't for the leopard, I'd go with Barnes TSX's as I have had great luck with those in the past. I actually was able to clover leaf the Barnes out of my 416 Rigby at 100 yards.

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
The slight difference in length is not as critical as the weight difference which equates to volume and therefore pressure and velocity. That said for in the field use I do not think you would notice any difference.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
I crimp the TSX in the top groove and the solid against the band with a Lee Factory Crimp die

What is your OAL on the solid? I take it you mean that the case mouth butts up against the band and not that it is actually ON the band?

Thx.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
quote:
I crimp the TSX in the top groove and the solid against the band with a Lee Factory Crimp die

What is your OAL on the solid? I take it you mean that the case mouth butts up against the band and not that it is actually ON the band?

Thx.

Correct...don't know OAL off top of my head...can check for you if you want me to.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36870 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote