Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Best A.D.I powder for reduced loads in .280
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a remington mountain .280 that I want to develop a load to shoot foxes with. I have some 110 hollow points to start. I don't need a fast load and would like to see if I can make it quieter by reducing the loads while maintaining accuracy.
I am not sure what type of powder to start with. I am not even sure whether I want a fast or slow burning powder for this task.
I curently use some different ADI powders and am keen to see if I have any already suitable?

Posts: 143 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply ricciardelli
I have found work up loads with the two powders I currently run AR2208 and AR2213.

Theoretically will the slower burning AR2213 give more consistent results because it fills more of the case?

Why are fast burning powders recommended for light bullets in fast loads and slow burning powders for heavy bullets?

Posts: 143 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
robe0280

If you had 60 grains of 2213 and 60 grains of 2208 they both turn into the same amount of gas once ignited.

However, 2213 turns into the gas slower. This is required for the heavier bullet because the heavier bullet is moving more slowly up the barrel and thus the increase in volume behind the bullet is occuring at a slower rate than with the lighter faster bullet.

You might have also noticed that bigger bores on the case capacity such as 25/06, 280, 30/06 and 35 Whelen the bigger bore usually needs faster powders.

That is because when the bullet from say the 35 Whelen has moved 2 inchs up the barrel it has opened up a lot more volume behind the bullet than does the 25/06 when its bullet has also moved up the barrel 2 inches.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
robe0280

If want use reduced loads in your 280 with 110 grainers, as opposed to loads that are just backed of from full power, the powers to use from ADI will be 2207, 2206 and 2208

Taking 2208 you will find that something in the area of 53 grains with 110 grainers will be at full pressure. Something like 40 grains or so would probably be in the 2300 to 2600 f/s bracket. 38 grains of 2206 will be similar.

With 2207 I would say a load of around the 40 to 43 grains would be full pressure for that powder and 110 grainers. 30 grains would probably be in the 2200 area.

Apart from the "potential" problem associated with using reduced loads of slow powders such as 2213, accuracy will probably be poor and combustion incomplete. Also, such loads often produce a heavy and BOOM to them.

To use reduced loads with powders like 2207, 2206 and 2208 it is easier if you reload where you shoot. When the load is too low the groups are usually very open and they close in as the load goes up and then will start to reopen as the load goes up too much. For some reason that completely escapes me peak accuracy when using powders that are normally way too fast for the calibre.....is usually obtained at much lower pressure that we usually consider as "normal"

In rifles where the bedding/scope/mounts are perhaps not as good as they might be such loads often give better accuracy than the full power loads.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote