New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powder
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was wondering if there was one or more powders that will work well with both 30-06 and 8x57Mauser. Affordability is the main reason I can't line my shelves with a dozen different powders for experimenting. The bullet wts I'm wanting to use are 195-220 grains. Thank you!

Posts: 133 | Location: Thermopolis, WY | Registered: 29 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
4895 or 4350 will usually work well for both cartridges with the heavier bullets.

There other options as well:

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey thank you for that link!

Posts: 133 | Location: Thermopolis, WY | Registered: 29 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
Wes,

Both IMR-4895 and 4064 will work well for both.
My 8mm like 4064 for the 185s and 4895 for the 200s

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doing cross comparisons it looks like H4350 and IMR4007ssc are very comparable. I've done some reloading, but have never even heard of this IMR4007 SSC,. It's also not even offered by the few big suppliers I've checked out. The H4350 also looks good for 7.62x54 but right now I'm simply pulling the FMJ's and replacing them with equivalent expanding hunting bullets to comply with regulations. I also replace them with 180gr rd nose but I drop the powder charges 3grains to compensate for pressure increase and get excellent results. I'm wondering if anyone has done a study to determine what the 7.62x54 surplus powder is most comparable to in our (available,lol) powders

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Lots of med burning powders will work for both; don't you have a reloading manual?

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Lots of med burning powders will work for both; don't you have a reloading manual?

tu2 In this day and age you probably will want to look in several manuals, then see what powder you can find. If you have load data with say H4895 and IMR4350 and find an available powder between those 2 (maybe H380) in the Relative Burn Rate Table in most manuals, you can probably use it. Just start conservative and work up carefully.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I do have loading manuals, several of them, both about 15 yrs old, and comparing the data from them to the current links given here, there are alot of differences and listings of powders not included in the older manuals, which I will be updating right quick.

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wes62:
quote:

I do have loading manuals, several of them, both about 15 yrs old, and comparing the data from them to the current links given here, there are alot of differences and listings of powders not included in the older manuals, which I will be updating right quick.

After 15 years I think it's time to update. Wink

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
4895 or 4350 will usually work well for both cartridges with the heavier bullets.

There other options as well:

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

tu2two good choices. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yep, that's the link that showed me I need to update, thanks.