New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to do with "New Brass"
 Login/Join

<Hoghead>
posted
I am pretty new to reloading. What do you do, as far as preperation goes, when it comes to new factory brass. Does it need to be sized and trimmed? What do you guys do??? I just bought some Winchester .220 swift brass and would like to know.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I've found that most if not all the new Win and Rem brass I've purchased has required a trip through the sizer die, as the necks have been dinged up. I'd check the OAL after sizing to see if trimming is required. If not, prime, charge and seat bullets, staying within published data, and you're on your way!

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With brand new brass I start by a short tumbling session to get any manufacturing lube etc off, inspect all the primer pockets and flash holes and do any cleanup needed, then chamfer the mouth, full-length size the brass, then measure it and trim if necessary; followed by another short tumble to remove case neck mica and case lube. I have always read that the first time a case is sized is when it will "grow" the most, so I don;t trim until after that first sizing is done.

Posts: 421 | Location: Broomfield, CO, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hoghead, What kind of shooting will you be doing? Hunting, plinking or serious target shooting?
My new hunting ammo brass is bought in lots and gets:
Flasholes deburred.
Trim to proper length and debur case mouth.
Full length resized first time, neck sized after that
A very light clean up turning of the case necks.
Prime and load.

Target ammo gets the works.

"The Ultimate inn Rifle Accuracy" by Glenn Newick describes in detail the process for accurate benchrest shooting ammo brass preparation.
I'm sure others in here will offer some great advice on brass prep.
Hope this helps and good shooting.
*Nut*

Posts: 268 | Location: God's Country, East Tex. USA | Registered: 08 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hoghead:
I am pretty new to reloading. What do you do, as far as preperation goes, when it comes to new factory brass. Does it need to be sized and trimmed? What do you guys do??? I just bought some Winchester .220 swift brass and would like to know.

Like the others I always size new brass and I also uniform the primer pockets and check the brass length....NOTE on the last batch of Wincherster 220 brass I got the neck walls were so thick that loaded ammo wouldn't fit in a factory standard P64 Winchester mod 70 that I have....the factory chamber is exactly on min saami standard of .262 neck and the walls of the new brass were .018 to .020 thick compared to Norma's .012.....I also deburr the neck mouth and fireform new brass with long seated load.....oh I also deburr flashhole when I uniform the primer pocket in US brass.....good luck and good shooting with a fine old cartridge....!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Run it all through a full length sizer, then measure them. Trim them all to the length of the shortest case....

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<MNTNMAN>
posted
Just another note:
I have found that winchester brass is in a lot better shape than remington when it arrives, therefore less work before there ready to go.