New
Find
Notify
Tools

DPMS coyote load using 55gr VMAX
 Login/Join

<wksinatl>
posted
I have a DPMS "SWEET 16" (16", 1-9"). I am looking for some suggestions for accurate loads using the 55gr VMAX. I have some 748, Varget, H322, AA2520, and a few others. For primers I have WSR's, CCI BR4's and Federal 205M's. Most ranges will be less than 300 yards. I know different rifles like different loads but I am looking for info that works for you in your .223. Thanks for your time and experience, Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
In my AR (20" bbl), I found that using mil brass, Win Primer, a stiff charge of H322, and a 55 gr V-Max (moly coated) produces groups that run ~ .6 moa (5 shots) with velocity running about 2960 (chronographed). I seat those bullets out as far as possible while still being able to feed from the mag.
Varget works fairly well too, but I get slightly better accuracy using H322.

Posts: 105 | Location: CO | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Eric J>
posted
wksinatl, I too have a "sweet sixteen"' by DPMS. It has proved itself to be extremely accurate. My pet load is 27grns Varget(compressed load), under a 50 grn V-max. It doesn't seem fair to my other rifles with longer tubes to be outshot by a rifle with a small appetite and a short barrel, but facts is facts. The norm for ten shot groups, if I do my part, is a shade under 1/2". The only drawback is when my wife asks me, " is all that fire coming out the end of it normal"? I just smile and say "yep".

Eric

<wksinatl>
posted
Hey Eric, What kind of primers are you using? Are you seating the bullets to magazine length? Have you tried the 55 VMAX in your rifle? Thanks for the info.

I have a Jewel 2-stage trigger and a 4.5x-14x Leupold on this rifle. I have high hopes for it.

PS Ain't nuthin' wrong with a little fire!!!

[This message has been edited by wksinatl (edited 05-15-2002).]