THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    How do you remove bullets without damaging the case?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you remove bullets without damaging the case?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am using a kinetic bullet puller and oviously doing something wrong because each case looks mangled when I'm done. I have gone to the RCBS site and can't find a video or diagram showing me the proper steps.

Thanks,

Robert

Bruz

"Honor,Courage and Character"

NRA Lifetime Member

Posts: 342 | Location: Jawja | Registered: 20 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bruz, which part of your case is 'mangled'?

Is the shellholder portion of the puller holding the case until the bullet pops loose and all the powder spills out, or is the case coming loose from the shellhollder portion of the puller?

I always use a collet style puller, but I have a kinetic, and used it a bunch, and never marred a case.

Let us know a little more detail and maybe we can help.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds a little strange to me too. Need more details and by the way the collet style puller from RCBS works really nice. After you pull bullets the neck has expanded a little so you need to remove your decapping pin since you have good primers loaded and run the brass back in the sizer again so you will have good bullet tension on the reload.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Should the shell holder portion of the puller be holding the bullet or the case neck?

Bruz

NRA Lifetime Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
neither, the base.

it's a fresh wind that ... Blows Against the Empire

Posts: 225 | Location: houston, tx | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ned:
neither, the base.

OK...Now I feel like an idiot Roll Eyes

BTW...If you seat it around the bullet...It destroys the case

Bruz

NRA Lifetime Member

One of Us
Picture of fireball 2
posted Hide Post
Big Grin hiya folks, i hope i'm not off topic but i just had to throw my .03 tip in the ring. i sometimes use a kinetic puller and the points would get damaged. so i came up with an idea, dampen the bullet when it comes out. i took a piece of blue paper towel just enough to fill in the bottom of the puller and hooray no more damaged tips. works great. thanks for letting me share that with ya'll. dave clap

when in rome, punt

Posts: 66 | Location: northern calif. | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I got tired of the damaged bullet tips too. I use a desposable foam ear plug, fits perfectly & catches the bullet nicely. There is room around the plug so powder exits w/ little effort.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't use a kinetic puller of any kind. Last week I had to pull around 200 and on about #180 a primer detonated. It did not set the powder off (thank God) or it could have been really bad. It was bad enough on my shorts as it was.

Posts: 1361 | Location: congress, az us | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Davidson bullet puller, absolutly no damage to anything and about 10 times faster.

Bob

Posts: 529 | Location: Harrison, Maine - Pensacola, Fl. | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by b beyer:
Davidson bullet puller, absolutly no damage to anything and about 10 times faster.

Bob,

Where can I buy a Davidson's Bullet Puller?

Thanks,

Bruz

NRA Lifetime Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would worry about the bullets also.I have not removed bullets and reused them so cannot comment on their grouping afterwards.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
Since I got myself a bullet puller the job gets done a lot quicker.

On bullets that travels above the speed of sound the tips is not important, the base must not be damaged, below the speed of sound it is the otherway around. I have not tested it but that is what I was told.

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Injured bullet tips have litlle effect on short range accuracy. Biggest problem I've encountered, using a kinetic puller, is the bullet bouncing back and denting the case mouth. A 30 cal patch inserted in the puller cured this problem.
Quinetics says that over the last 25 years, fewer than 1 case in a million will detonate.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Paladin 56
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaco Human:
Since I got myself a bullet puller the job gets done a lot quicker.

On bullets that travels above the speed of sound the tips is not important, the base must not be damaged, below the speed of sound it is the otherway around. I have not tested it but that is what I was told.

Jaco,

I think whoever told you that had their info reversed. Tips above the speed of sound are most important, while at subsonic speeds the base is most important. BT's on bullets make little, if any, short range difference.

Long range is different, hence the long ogive and sharp tips on ULD/VLD bullets.

David

DRSS member

Do what you can with what you've got where you are. TR

Posts: 82 | Location: Cody, Wyoming | Registered: 17 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
If you want a cheap puller that works great. Ask ole' Vapo, he's got a heck of a method that makes you wonder why you didn't have you thinkin' cap on to figure it out yourself.

Maybe he'll chime in and show us the pics of his bullet puller Big Grin

All you need is a pair of wire snipers, catfish skinning pliers, or fencing pliers and you press. Place the proper shell holder in, remove die so there is nothing in the way when you raise the press, gently grip the bullet with the pliers and ease up on the lever to pull the case back down. Pretty simple, never would have thought about it until Vapo brought it up.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shoot Reloader,I think Vapo is a certified 'efficiency engineer'!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bruz, I have returned your P.M.

Bob

Posts: 529 | Location: Harrison, Maine - Pensacola, Fl. | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reloader:
If you want a cheap puller that works great. Ask ole' Vapo, he's got a heck of a method that makes you wonder why you didn't have you thinkin' cap on to figure it out yourself.

Maybe he'll chime in and show us the pics of his bullet puller Big Grin

All you need is a pair of wire snipers, catfish skinning pliers, or fencing pliers and you press. Place the proper shell holder in, remove die so there is nothing in the way when you raise the press, gently grip the bullet with the pliers and ease up on the lever to pull the case back down. Pretty simple, never would have thought about it until Vapo brought it up.

Reloader

Thanks...That method works great..I just used a little piece of leather on the teeth of the pliers and it didn't even mar the bullets.

Bruz

NRA Lifetime Member

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Interesting story with kinetic bullet pullers:

We were pulling some of my deer loads for my 270 (Rem 130gr bronze point), and after pulling them, the bronze tips started to come out of the rest of the bullet. We pretty much had to examine each bullet pulled to see if it would be suitable for field use. Many of them were relegated to practice after that.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
'efficiency engineer'!

Yeah Fish, that's a good name for it. We use alittle different name over here but, that will work as well Big Grin

Glad you had good results Bruz.

I wish I had thought about that before I bought a kinetic puller.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
Bullet puller collets - really easy to use, no risk of detonating the primer, and bullets are ready to use.

If I have only one or two to pull, I'll use a kinetic, but don't pound it too hard.

Agree that running the neck into the die again is a good idea - decappin pin removed, of course.

Posts: 731 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I had to replace my old kinetic bullet puller due to fatigue. I purchased a new RCBS one. It comes with a nice foam patch at the bottom of the chamber - no more damaged bullet tips!

Posts: 19 | Location: UK | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RCBS sells a Collet bullet puller that works just fine.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote