Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet Testing ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ryan
posted
I would like to try a premium bullet for my .300, I am currently shooting 200 grain sierra bullets but they tend to fragment� however, I can not afford to purchase many boxes of different bullets to try them all out.

Does anyone know of a way to get dozen or so bullets from the manufactures to play with before making the commitment to developing a load for a specific bullet?

I am interested in trying out the Barnes X, Nosler Accubond, and the Fail Safes.

Posts: 81 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 28 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
As far as I know Ryan, no one offers "sample" packs. I like to tinker & would like the option of trying a few bullets instead of buying an expensive box. Right now, try & find somone to trade w/, I've done this a few times on this forum.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
out of the ones you mentioned I would start with the 180 or 200 gr Accubonds. Very accurate!

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
<ironbender>
posted
Ryan,

There was a thread on Outdoors Directory regarding bullet testing. Here is a site that scanned a mag article by Gary Sciuchetti in Handloader mazagine #193. He tested penetration and expansion and weight retention for all(at the time) 30 cal-180 grain bullets at speeds from 'no deformation' to 3100 fps. Pick a bullet based on shooting distance (bullet velocity) penetration needed and expansion desired.

I recently found this article and am impressed with the Swift A-Frames and will be handloading them soon.

--Mike

posted Hide Post
Ryan Sir:

Budget tight? mine also however a thought! you do not have to look further than the Barnes "X" bullet if I am guessing as to the hunting only use. Depending upon the twist of your barrel, look at the 180 "X" or even the 165 "X" the benefit of the latter is higher velocity. They won't fragment.

Remember, Don't squat with yer spurs on.
Clarence

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Ryan, nothing wrong w/ the 'X' but more guys , icluding me, can't get them to shoot as well as others. I don't shoot a .30 but I have ultimate confidence in the Nosler partitions & have recently been playing w/ the Accubonds in 7mm & .338, I think a good choice for extended (read beyond 250yds) ranges.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ryan,

Try some of the new Barnes 180 grain Triple Shock bullets. They work great in my .300 Weatherby. Superbly accurate and awesome stoppers. The Triple Shocks foul much less than the X bullets and are much more accurate. I am now using them exclusively in my .25-06, .30-06, and .300 Weatherby for hunting, replacing the Nosler Partition in all cases. You won't regret the purchase.

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ryan
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice.

I have tried the nosler partitions before and just could not get the constant accuracy I wanted. I am looking for a bullet that will perform on larger game (elk) at longer distances � 250-350 yards.

I originally went to the 200 grain bullet for extra down range KE. Someone above mentioned the twist and selecting a bullet weight based on that. What is the relationship between twist and bullet weight?

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Then try the accubond if the partitions do not shoot for you. A 1:10 pitch should work just fine. If the 200 gr Sierras shot for you (very very long bullet to stabilize) then so should the 200 Accubonds.

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ryan
posted Hide Post
The seirras actually shot sub inch groups when the rifle was clean. After about 30 rounds they open up to 1.2ish which I was very happy with.

How do the accubonds perform? I have heard verying degrees of opinion.

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
send me a PM and I'll send you a few Swift A-Frames 200 grain .308 caliber.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote