Find
Notify
Tools

7828 in a 7mm Mag
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted
How do you find this powder's performance in 7mm Rem Magnums? I have been told that IMR made this powder specifically for the 7mm Remington Magnum. I loaded up some 162 gr. SST's with 66.0 grs. of IMR 7828 for a friend's new stainless Model 700 BDL.

What are your favorite loads with this powder/cartridge?

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by todbartell:
How do you find this powder's performance in 7mm Rem Magnums? I have been told that IMR made this powder specifically for the 7mm Remington Magnum...

Hey Tod, I also remember reading years ago that IMR-7828 was originally released for those of us with 7mmRemMags.

I tried about 3 and a half cans of it in a few different rifles including, 243Wins, 25-06s, and some 7mmRemMags. Gave what I had left to a buddy who tried it in two different 270Wins and we never could get it to work well for us in anything.

But, I see some folks swear by it in their rifles.

The best Powder I found for the 7mmRemMag has been H1000. I don't give out actual Loads since it is a waste of your time and an UN-SAFE practice. The specific Load that works in my rifle has little chance of being the best one for your rifles.

Just start at the minimums listed in your Manuals and work-up "IF" the Pressure Indicators allow you to do so. Once they indicate it is time to STOP, do just that. Then back off a bit and try varying the Seating Depth to hit the best Harmonic for your Final Load.

Good luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I have used 7828 in my 7mm Dakota & 160gr bullets w/ good results. It shhots pretty much the sameas RL22 in my rig. I have also had good results in my .280rem. w/ 160gr bullets as well.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
For your 162's I found H-870 From 75.5 grains to 80.0 grains with CCI-200 primers to be the best in my rifle.

If found 7828 to be best in 139 grain loads.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like IMR-7828 in the 7mm Remington; it groups well and while I might be imagining this, it seems to feel different from H4831 or R-22 in recoil. I've been using it with benchrest primers and 140-grain Noslers.

[ 08-17-2002, 08:00: Message edited by: TomP ]

Posts: 14632 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With the 7's that I've worked with 7828 has rocked big time!

I am presently using it in my 7 Mashburn Super with 160's and it is running just under 3300.

It'' work just wonderful in most rifles using the 150's-175's.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

with a couple fo the 7 rem's I've worked with (24") it'll push the 175's to 3000 or darn close

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is the best powder for my 7mm Mashburn,also, especially with the 160 and 175g bullets. This case is slightly larger than the factory 7mm mag. Mark D, you are a lucky man. I have 3 barrels for the Mashburn and 3220 fps is all I can get with the 160's. I have 3 friends who have reported the same results as you. I just need to find a fast barrel. All of mine have been rechambered factory barrels.

Posts: 314 | Location: Abilene,Tx. USA | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
It is my understanding that Remington/DuPont created IMR 7828 specifically for the 7mm Rem. Mag., that it was the original factory powder for the 7mm Rem. Mag., and was used as a factory-only powder for a number of years before DuPont decided to release it for use by handloaders as a canister powder.... [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

I love 7828 with my 7 Mag...I use 66 gr. with 175 gr. nosler partitions and 65 gr. with 175 gr. Hornady interlocks...can't remember the charge with 139 gr. sst, maybe 71 gr, but all are accurate with no pressure problems, and top velocity over the chronograph.

Best of all, it has taken over 40 head of game for me up to and including a couple of eland...

Don't need any more proof

Joel Slate
Slate & Associates, LLC
www.slatesafaris.com

7mm Rem Mag Page www.slatesafaris.com/7mm.htm

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used 7828 in my 7 Mag for many years with 175 gr bullets.

Sure works good for me.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Oleman>
posted
IMR 7828 is the powder that I use in my 300 Weatherby (Remington Classic) with a 200 gr Sierra Gameking. 3014 fps from a 24 in barrel.