Find
Notify
Tools

BARNES 110 TTSX in 308 win
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PATRIOT76
posted
wondering if anyone has tried this combo?

seems like one could get 3300-3500 depending on barrle length and we know mono's do better with speed...

poor BC prevents it from being a long range bullet but that super speed/stout construtcion inside 200 yards should zap deer and hogs quite well

thoughts?

Posts: 442 | Location: usa | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Barnes says to crimp it because it's so short. As long as it isn't so short that it becomes unstable on impact and tumbles or spins off in an odd direction, it ought to be a lighting bolt.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been playing with them in 3006. I got a little nervous when we got to 3450fps but it didn't show any pressure signs and if you get data from barnes it's really aggressive. It's a tack driver in both my tikka and his remington. Shoots 1/2" groups in either gun. We don't crimp them but I do have the mandrel on my lee collet die sanded down to give about .006" neck tension.
I have a little rem vtr in 308 and haven't played with the 110 ttsx but have played with the 110 vmax. It is super accurate all the way to 350yds (max at our range) with the vmax. I would expect the ttsx would do the same.
MY buddy did punch a small buck through both shoulders with the 110ttsx at 100yds this year. It went down at the shot and gave a couple of pushes with the rear legs and fell over dead. He normally butchers his own deer and wanted to look things over but it was really warm and he took it to the processor right away just to get it done and get back to hunting.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To be honest I found the 130 to shoot better and give more consistent velocities with my efforts than the 110's.

WHile I didn't strive for any blistering velocity, I was more concerned with groups and lower SD which the 130's did a great job of over my chrono and on my targets.

These were tried in both 30-06 and in my .308 but I do admit I only tried a 100 of each or 50 for each caliber. These were compared to other loads I have found in the past which gave good groups with good velocities and were simply used as comparisons.

My grandson however has used the 130's in my .308 for hogs and one deer and they preformed to perfection.

Mike / Tx

One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
I have tried them in my 30-30 but I didn't get very good accuracy with them and switched back to Partitions. This year I did load 130's for my brother to use in his 30-06. Loaded near max, it is by far the most accurate load that rifle has seen. On the other hand, the damage to the deer he shot with that load was excessive. The deer was DRT but he took a quartering shot and it blew out the front shoulder.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1090 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote