New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Help With Factory Norma Ammo.....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
For our friends across the pond, does anyone know what type powder Norma uses in their factory ammo ?

If it is a propriatary powder is there a simliar powder that I can buy off the shelf ?

I need to regulate a double rifle in 8x57 JRS that was factory regulated with Norma ammo......................JJ

" venator ferae bestiae et aquae vitae "

Posts: 593 | Location: Southern WV, USA | Registered: 03 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After giving it a lot of thought, I think they probably use Norma powder, but I may be wrong. It is available from Graff and Sons

There are no fleas on the 9.3s

http://www.blaserbuds.com/forum/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norma will not use commercial powders for there factory stuff, they use bulk stuff, loaded to fit pressures and V0,

besides Norma is now a part of Ruag ie also RWS so at times it´s hard to know from what plant loads are coming.

R-versions are more common in germany, so the 8x57JSR could be made there,

anyways, to find a load that regulates, try Norma 202 and 203b, powders that will work well with the x57 case.

Best regards Chris

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ron, " you so funny " coffee not !! I called Norma first, they could not offer any help.

Husky M98, thanks for the heads up on the powder types..............JJ

" venator ferae bestiae et aquae vitae "

Posts: 593 | Location: Southern WV, USA | Registered: 03 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Chris is right.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the "dark ages" Norma did use Norma powder (made by Bofors) and they did publish their loading data. I discovered that when I began reloading back in the 1960s. You can still find copies of their manuals today. I was actually shocked to find the data available on the open market, considering the apparent high pressures of some of their loads, however, after using their data and comparing it to factory ammo, I could tell no difference.

Today I doubt if Norma will ever again publish their data for the same reason as mentioned elsewhere in this thread, the change of ownership to RUAG. Another thing to look out for in OLD Norma ammo is a trace of green around the neck. If you find that, the ammo is probably no good, coming from a shipment made in the 1960s that was apparently mistreated in crossing the pond. The primers may or may not fire, when pulled apart you find the powder is caked solid and there is verdigris all over the base of the bullet. The bullets are nearly unrecoverable and the brass takes hours of tumbling to clean.
LLS

Posts: 188 | Location: Texas, via US Navy & Raytheon | Registered: 17 August 2008Reply With Quote