New
Find
Notify
Tools

Forster neck turner, any good?
 Login/Join

<Al Smith>
posted
I'm looking to buy a neck turner, is the Forster neck turner any good? Or is there something better and where can I order it?

Thanks for the input,

Al

[This message has been edited by Al Smith (edited 03-05-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Al Smith (edited 03-05-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Reports have not been favorable. Buy a K&M. ...ol blue

Posts: 373 | Location: USA | Registered: 05 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Some of those reports were coming from me. Don't waste your money. I broke the plastic handle on the 12th case, the pilot is not long enough to allow accurate cutting to the case mouth, and the adjustments are not repeatable. Go with the K&M. JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What plastic handle? I have a couple-3 and they all are steel/aluminum.
The hard-core bench resters seem to prefer the hand held tools but they are so slow if you have a lot to do. The Forester is a good case trimmer IMHO.
C.G.B.

Posts: 238 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 05 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
CGB, he's asking about the hand held turners. The new Forster handheld is a POS. JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
<Don Krakenberger>
posted
I have a k&m and think it's great. I ordered 100 300 wby rem brass. If you've ever seen this stuff IT IS UGLY. Often case mouths are more square than round. I take a q-tip and dab a little imperial sizing wax in the case mouth, run them over the expanding mandrel (which corrects those square case mouths) and start chucking the brass into a drill while watching tv. In about an hour you will have all the necks turned. Touch up the primer pockets and flash holes and you've got some real consistant (and cheap) brass. PLUS I take some of these and run them through my redding .340 wby neck die and now have some .340 wby.
If I don't neck turn rem brass I get .003-.005 runnout of loaded ammo. If I do neck turn my forester dies will usually give me .001-.002 runnout (usually closer to .001"). Plus I get very very consistant neck tension when seating bullets with neck turned brass. The end result is 3" groups at 300 yds with barnes 180 xbts and that rem brass. Just my system. PS--that time investment is pretty small over the life of 100 brass!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
K&M Services
5430 Salmon Run Rd.
Dover, PA 17315
(717) 292-3175

Posts: 373 | Location: USA | Registered: 05 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ah, never noticed that one before. I have been using the one that fits on the trimmer.
Hart makes a pretty nice hand tool also.
C.G.B.

Posts: 238 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 05 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the benchtop Forster neck turner.

I really like it, but more important, it replaced the POS case trimmer that came with my RCBS Rockchucker reloader kit.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
I must have the old Foster neck turning tool that attaches to the case trimmer. It's not as usefull as neck reaming. That's what touches the bullet!