THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Difference between the Vaquero and the Blackhawk

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Difference between the Vaquero and the Blackhawk
 Login/Join

Picture of msymms
posted
Hi, I am interested in a SAA revolover and am looking at the the Rugers. I also am looking at the Hornady reloading manuals. It shows a load for the 45LC and the directly following another load specifically for the Blackhawk in .45. This second load has much higer pressures. I do understand that the first load is for Cowboy Action shooting and is much lighter. Now to my questions: What is the real difference between the two revolvers? I know the Vaquero is used a lot in Cowboy shooting. The Blackhawk looks similar. Can they both sustain the higher pressures of the second load mentioned above?

As a sidebar- do anyone have experience with the Ruger SRedhawk in .480?

I have not forgotten the face of my Father.
-mark

Posts: 5 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
The first load is for Colt and Colt clone .45Colts. The cylinders and frames are much more lightly constructed than the Ruger Blackhawk. The Blackhawk Vaquero is a Blackhawk, the parts are identical except for the fixed-sight frame.
There is a New Vaquero out (has been in production for about a year) that is very similar to the Colt SAA in size but is the same strength as the "old blackhawk". While Ruger won't come right out and say what reloads you can use in it, (becuase they don't condone the use of handloads in thier guns), the "official" responce is that you can use any ammo that is loaded by a SAMMI member manufacturer. Corbon and Buffallo Bore are SAMMI members, so any .45Colt load (yes even the +p's) they produce will work in the New Vaquero.

The SRH in .480 shoots great (1-2" at 50) with hard cast bullets and not so good (5-8") with some the jacketed factory fodder. To protect the inoccent I won't name names publicly or in writing.

BTW even the light "book" loads are generally considered too heavy by many cowboy shooters.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
The NEW Vaquero has a smaller cyl. so I wouldn't want to be shooting 45colt+p loads in that one. If you want to hotrod a .45colt, get a stainless steel BH, it will do what ever you need a revolver to do.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
edited the initail post to cover the +p ammo.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of msymms
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much for the help.

I have not forgotten the face of my Father.
-mark

Posts: 5 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2006Reply With Quote