Find
Notify
Tools

Reloder 10X ??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys,
Anyone know why this powder is promoted as ideal for "light bullet applications"? I've gathered it was developed for benchrest use ... but its burn rate seems about perfect for trying in the 358Win (200gr to 250gr) and possibly the 375-08 (225gr and 235gr) that I've just started playing with.
Thoughts?
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Con, it burns very dirty in cooler weather. That is why the benchrest crowd quit on it.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Con:
...I've gathered it was developed for benchrest use ... but its burn rate seems about perfect for trying in the 358Win (200gr to 250gr)...Thoughts?
Cheers...
Con

We meet again in another thread...I'm not going to try it in my varmint guns if that's what you mean, but it is a good one in the 358. My 358 loads are fired and chronied, my maximum loads follow...Y'all are welcome to blow yourselves up by carelessly loading these without working up and watching a chronograph shame: 45 grains under the Hornady 200 gr SP yields 2500-2550 f/s from a 20" barreled BLR; 44 gr goes 2450 f/s under the Sierra 225 SPBT GameKing (excellent accuracy for me) in the same gun, brass and primer (WW, WLR)...an alternative to the tighly packed, slightly slower powders we're accustomed to. This round, of course, has no odor of benchrest at all, being a lowly hunting/hunter's load...dirty burning does not concern me as I'm thinking one or two shots at a time...my barrel cleaned up just fine Razzer.

Best of luck with your trials.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks High_Slot! I'll take care not to blow my 358Win up Big Grin, but that gives me a starting point. Likewise Butch Smiler The powder has just become available here so there's virtually no local feedback.
Cheers...
Con

one of us
posted Hide Post
This powder shoots very well in a skinny barrel rem sps useing 40 grbullets but useing 55 gr BT doesn't do as well.
Also tried it in a savage muzzleloader and it shot very well at 100 yds.Used a prtty stiff load and the recoil was pretty good.Planning on trying more of it and checking the speed when I get around to it.

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is rated very well in the new 338 Federal Load data...so it should be great in the 358 Winchester...

A call to Alliant powder, told me to just use H 322 data... Reloader 10 is a little slower actually, so H 322 data will be safe...

Since all of Hodgdon's powder is supposed to be made down under there, with few exceptions like H 414, H 335 and BLC2.... you should be able to cross reference the OZ equivalent of H 322...

good luck..
cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again seafire,
Yep, if it's similar to H322 ... then we're talking AR2219 in the local lingo and I have some in the reloading room.
Cheers...
Con

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Con:
Thanks again seafire,
Yep, if it's similar to H322 ... then we're talking AR2219 in the local lingo and I have some in the reloading room.
Cheers...
Con

On the subject of AR2219, I have been advised to develope a load for my Savage Long Range Precision Varminter in 223Rem using AR2219.
The rifle has a 1 in 7 twist and I'm developing the load for Sierra 80grn Match Kings. I started the load devlopment using AR2208. Any thoughts on using AR2219 guys?

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE!

Posts: 161 | Location: Australia | Registered: 28 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When the powder first came out you could not find load info on it so I called Alliant to get some. They maintained that it was designed for use in small bore (mainly the .22 family) light bullets. when pressed the person I talked to opined that light was less than 55 gr. I have not seen a .22 on a centerfire BR firing line in 20 years. I can't recall any listed, even 22 BRs in the matck results in PS for years and years. I'm thinking Alliant was going after small game and varmint hunters. Maybe there are some in hunter class competitions.

H322 is not similar to 10x except that it is in the same neighborhood of the burn rate chart.

I tried a pound and was not much impressed with it at the time, partly because of the excess carbon, but I was getting slightly better groups with H322 or N130. That was in 3 .223 rifles I owned. Still your results could be quite different; every rifle is different, as we all know.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look for the NEW RL-10x, they made it burn cleaner - so they say.

I tried the NEW, but never the original, so I can't say for sure.

Posts: 154 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amman,
Several people shoot variations of 22's in BR competition. One of our top shooters, Super Shoot winner, and several time World Team member shoots 22. His name is Mike Ratigan. Several of the guys liked the Reloader 10x in their 6ppc, but had powder fouling problems in cooler weather. I don't know about the newer 10x or how it works in other calibers.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Amman,
Several people shoot variations of 22's in BR competition. One of our top shooters, Super Shoot winner, and several time World Team member shoots 22. His name is Mike Ratigan. Several of the guys liked the Reloader 10x in their 6ppc, but had powder fouling problems in cooler weather. I don't know about the newer 10x or how it works in other calibers.
Butch

Butch,
Will increasing the powder charge and the pressure therefore the heat of combustion reduce the fouling in cool weather?

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote