Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite load in 260 Rem for deer and elk
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of quarterbore
posted
What is your favorite load for big game in 260 Rem?

Posts: 136 | Location: Southern Utah | Registered: 22 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Not wanting to hijack the thread .....

I have used the 6.5X55 Swed (very similar to the 260 Rem in performance) & the 6.5X54 MS

For the Swede, I loved the 125 gr Nosler Partition for longer ranges & large red deer. I also used the 140gr Hornady with good results. The 160gr Hornady RN was also very effective on red deer.

Velocity -
125 gr Nosler - 2900 fps
140 gr hornady - 2750 fps
160 gr Hornady - 2600 fps

Best powder was IMR 4831 with VV N160 a close second.

Handloader magazine had a great article on this caliber about 15 years ago. I think it was by John Barsness.

In the Mannlicher Schoenauer, I use 160gr RN for the classic original load & that penetrates like crazy - a shot into the base of the throat penetrated about 8 to 10 inches of spine.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11190 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dead Eye
posted Hide Post
120 gr Sierra Prohunter or Barnes TTSX and Reloader 17. Lapua brass. Load it up to around 2950-3000 fps watching for pressure signs

Posts: 395 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Not something I would use on elk.

Posts: 17266 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Not something I would use on elk.

That's perfectly fine for you but others who actually kill elk and lots of them or are around a lot of elk getting killed would disagree with you.
In my experience it's not the caliber or cartridge that is make or break with elk it is shot placement. You double lung or heart shoot any animal on the planet and that is a fatal shot with just about everything that burns powder.
Having said that your bullet choices these days are fantastic for the 260, 6.5x55, or 6.5 Creedmore and others like this.
Find something in the 120 to 140 grain range that your rifle really shoots and you are in business. I am a huge Sierra bullet fan for me they just work so a 120 or 140 Sierra or a 130 accubond would be my top choices with Barnes 120TTSX as another.
You don't have to have a magnum anything for elk but whatever you shoot them with you should shoot it well and no matter what you shoot keep shooting if they are on their feet.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dead Eye:
120 gr Sierra Prohunter or Barnes TTSX and Reloader 17. Lapua brass. Load it up to around 2950-3000 fps watching for pressure signs

This is great advice

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I understand lots of guys like to use the pest guns on big game; not I. Plan for the worst; not the ideal shot.
Must read Elmer tonight.....

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
I understand lots of guys like to use the pest guns on big game; not I. Plan for the worst; not the ideal shot.

You don't have to try to turn every Elk sighting into a shot opportunity.
If you have an Elk in your crosshairs and he doesn't give you a fatal target I don't recommend taking any old shot at him hoping it is fatal. No matter what rifle you are toting.
I need to add that I would hardly call a .264" bullet at 2900 fps a "pest gun" really.

One of Us
Picture of quarterbore
posted Hide Post
I once heard someone say that the 30-06 was kind of light for elk. You can't argue with that kind of logic. It won't do you any good. The guy was buying a 300 Win Mag for his teenage daughter.

Posts: 136 | Location: Southern Utah | Registered: 22 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of quarterbore
posted Hide Post
quote:

https://www.buckmasters.com/Ma...ciated-260-Remington

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Well acquainted with the 260; built a few of them. Still pest guns to me; they made a nice little deer rifle. If you like plinking teeny bullets at big game, go for it. I prefer to match the bullets to the game; big for big.
Do not forget that I am a student of Elmer from way back; I see no need to change now.

One of Us
Picture of Dead Eye
posted Hide Post
IMO it's basically a 270 win in a short action.

Posts: 395 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Still pest guns to me; they made a nice little deer rifle. If you like plinking teeny bullets at big game, go for it..

pest..it could be, but a 223 Remington is a better pest round, I to own a .260 rem, it is more than a deer size cartage . I have read where lots of elk, moose, caribou, and red stag, been killed with 6.5x55 very, very close to the performance of the .260 rem.

loading the .260 rem. I have always used H4350 good for all bullet weights I use 45.5 with any 120 'great white tail load'

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Bell agreed that a 6.5 throwing a 160 RN at around 2400 made an excellent pest rifle. Pesky Zebras, buck of all kinds and Giraffe at 500 yards in the heart was no problem if you imagined the trajectory over the trees just right.
I'm an Elmer fan as well but a 140 Nosler Partition is a nice Elk load in the 260. As was the 220 Nosler partition in the 30-06 and the 275 SS Speer in the 338WM! Hands down the best Elk killer I ever used.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote