New
Find
Notify
Tools

Digital or Mechanical scales? Opinions?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am in the market for a powder scale. Should I go with a Digital or regular mechanical?

Posts: 241 | Location: Grand Rapids, Mi, usa | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Digital. Look at Pact. I have about 7 or 8 different scales of both types, including a scientific. I've gravitated almost complete to the Pact and trickler system for everything.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
<rg1>
posted
I also have a Pact electronic scale and use it for all reloading. I also have a RCBS mechanical that stays in a drawer for now.I recommend having both. If the electricity goes off you are still in business. With the digital electronic scale there are a couple of things to remember. One is have the scale on a separate table or bench. The shaking and vibration on your press table effects the scale. Second is let the scale "warm" up for about 20 minutes minimum before calibrating and using it. Also get the largest capacity scale you can find. 1000 grains or larger capacity.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both ,from RCBS for dropping charges I use the mech. and dubbel check with the digital.
If there is a diff. the mech. is always right.
In a reloading session for say 3 hours the digital needs to be reset about 4 times.
The diff. can be as much as .4 grain
The digitals are great for setting up your powder measure and weighing bullets,if it was not for that I would not bother with them.

Regards Martin

Posts: 328 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Eric>
posted
Hey Deputy,

I've used both and RCBS and Redding mechanical scale for years (around 30 now) with nary a problem that couldn't be traced back to operator headspace. While many people like the new digital scales, I don't trust them. I've been a precision machinist for many years and do gunsmithing on the side, I try to not use the electronic measuring tools as I have had errors from these measuring tools.

Battry's go bad, when they get weak readings are incorrect, they are subject to electronic disturbances, yada, yada, yada. I've always thought they are for people in a hurry. but that's just me. I only use them on occasion and triple check my readings.

My two cents.

Eric

<Delta Hunter>
posted
If you want real precision, go with a balance beam scale such as that offered by Redding. I own one of these myself and use it to weigh individual charges. I use a powder measure to throw a charge 2 or 3 tenths less than what I want and then trickle to get the exact charge. I find this to be every bit as fast as using a digital.

I also own a Pact digital and use it only for weighing bullets or brass. I don't trust it enough for weighing powder because it is prone to giving different readings. For example, I can be weighing a batch of brass and after getting done go back and check random pieces and now it weighs .2 to .3 grains more or less than the original readings. And yes, I make sure the scale has been turned on at least 20 or 30 minutes prior to beginning.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Eric and Delta Hunter. My cordless phone would even screw up the electronic PACT scale I have. I only use it for weighing brass these days.

Posts: 267 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DEPUTY450:
I am in the market for a powder scale. Should I go with a Digital or regular mechanical?

I have both a RCBS 5-10 about 20yrs old and a Pact/RCBS-digital with the matching powder dispenser.....if I could pick only one...I would use the mechanical one....I love the dig. for case weights and rimfire shell sorting and similar repeat type operations but for normal loading the mechanical is faster and less likely to suffer from damage if kept dry and covered..IMO.....and no power/battery worries and both do a good job of measurements IF DIRECTIONS are followed and you are careful......good luck and good shooting!!!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rg1:
If the electricity goes off you are still in business.

I hope you're not planning on using candle light!!! POW!!! [Big Grin] Sorry....couldn't resist a little newbie humor.

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have been using a PACT for 4 years and have never had any problems. In fact I still have a RCBS 5-0-5 scale NIB if someone is interested. No need for it with the PACT. The only thing I have noticed is that I have to turn off the ceiling fan because the moving air will make it read wrong. Very sensitive.

Posts: 330 | Location: Picayune, Ms | Registered: 03 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
I would say get a beam scale. Even such an authority as David Tubb recommends them (see the Sierra reloading video). Of course, having both couldn't hurt, either.

As for manufacturer, I think the Hornady/Pacific beam scale is the best thing going out there: solid steel construction, knife-edge fulcrums, and counter-weights that are actually substantial...not some bendable stamped-out little tag that the other manufacturers' models use.

RSY

[ 05-30-2002, 19:33: Message edited by: RSY ]

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used a RCBS 1010 mechanical for-I'm guessing 25 years. Three years ago I got an RCBS digital. I had a load devloped for my 300 win. As soon as I started using the digital, my groups opened up. I checked everything and double checked. It occurred to be that the only variable was switching scales. I loaded a few with the 1010 and the problem went away. I weighed a string of loads with digital then put them on the 1010. The charge weight varied 1.5 to 2 grains off the digital. I am back to using the 1010 mechanical becasue gravity is consitent and electronics don't seem to be. I have been considering the Lyman electronic autoscale. My digital is gathering dust and will continue to do so.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an RCBS electronic scale that I don't even bother to take out much any more. It seems persnickety at times even when I set it up on a separate table, let it warm up for a 1/2 hour and keep it away from any breezes. It will sometimes provide different readings (as much as .3-.4 gr.)when weighing the same item (e.g. bullet, case, etc.) even though it has been calibrated and is in this stable stable environment. My old RCBS 5-0-5 works just fine, takes no time at all to setup, and I feel comfortable with the consistent readings it gives. I guess I trust mechanical over digital (funny for a computer professional, huh?), and I don't particularly like to hurry through reloading anyway. Good Luck and Good Shooting!

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one of the original rcbs electrnic scales and find it to be as accurate as my old 1010 scale but several times as fast.I haven't used a mechanical scale in years.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Martin@Hin,
What criteria do you use to enact a "ReSet"?
Is it a change in the unladen readout? My experience is much like your own. Many times, I've had to recheck charged cases until I could identify exactly where the change occured.

[ 05-31-2002, 16:48: Message edited by: Nickudu ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Although i�m new in the reloading business, and loaded just about 100 cartridges, i hade mad some experiences with a digital scale (not knowing the model or manufacturer).
It drove me crazy, because i weight the powder charge 3-5 time per loading and everytime i get a different result. Okay i want to have every cartridge loaded with the same ammount of powder, behind the "," . Not 71,1 i want to have 71.00000000 grain [Smile]
okay, 0,1 grain differnce is not that much on 71 grain.
I had to reset the scale 2-3 times per cartridge! A pain...
[Big Grin]
But i can�t say anything about non-digital scales...SORRY.
I think the problem was, that when tickling the load exactly to the end ammount of powder for the cartridge, the scale is to slow to calculate the given grains on the load. I tickle and tickle...nothing happens...and suddenly u have 0,3 grains more...from one second to the other.
Or maybe i go for too much precission???
Don�t know,.....so maybe i�m the failure [Wink]

cheers
konstantin

Posts: 334 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an old RCBS digital that I have used for years without a hitch. I periodically check it with a set of precision weights and have never found it to be out of calibration. I use a large Ohause balance that I used to use for everything but now only use it for weighing shot charges. It is just too slow and cumbersome. A good digital is really quite amazing when you think about it. Mine will hold +-.1 gr out to 500 Gr. That is +- 1 part in 5000. What other reloading parameters are held to this kind of precision ( or need to be)?
C.G.B.

Posts: 238 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 05 June 2001Reply With Quote