Find
Notify
Tools

Windy Range report ;.223
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
beer.223, Ruger #1,RP cases, Fed. 200 primers, oal=2.060",2230-C powder, 33 gr. HP bullet bulk.Wind gusting to 40mph.

• 27.5gr. powder, mild clean, 3541 to 3584 fps., 3 shot 1 1/2" group @ 50 yds.

• 28gr. powder 3615 to 3679 fps.3 shot 1/4" grp. @50yds.

• 28.8gr. powder, 3686 to 3748 fps. 4 shot 3/8" grp.@ 50yds.,

• 29.6 gr. powder, mild, 3805 to 3853 fps. 3 shot 1/4" grp.@ 50yds.great.

.223, 52gr. fbhp,berger bullet , DP2200 powder, fed 200 primer, oal= 2.217", Ruger #1 & Steven's Mod 200.

• 22.7gr powder, PMP cases, ***Ruger*** mild, 3118 to 3184 fps. 3 shot 3/4" grp. @50yds. but great at 200yds. ###Stevens### 2877 to 3021fps. 3/4" grp @50yds.

• 23.1gr powder, PMP) cases, ***Ruger***3142 to 3223 fps., 3 shot 1/4" grp. @50yds., 1 1/2" grp. @ 200yds.###Stevens### 3014 to 3071fps., 3 shot 3/4" grp. @ 50yds.2" grp @ 200yds.

• 23.6gr. powder, LC 03 Ni. cases, ###Stevens only###, 3036 to 3062 fps., 3 shot .200" grp @ 50yds.

• 24 gr. powder, LC 03 Ni cases, mild, ***Ruger***, 3172 to 3241fps. NFG.###Stevens###, 3094 to 3108 fps. 3 shot 3/4" grp @ 50yds.

Notes:

The Ruger scope mount was found to be really loose when caseing the rifles.

Ruger barrel length = 24". Stevens barrel length = 22".

NO PIERCED PRIMERS with these rifles

Both triggers are rough.
    BOOMroger lefty

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..
  •  
    Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    FrownerIs there anybody out there gaining anything from this surplus powder data? An interest was shown on getting DP2200 data on another thread and that's why postings on two different series of loadings were made.

It is understood that this stuff may fall in the passe catagory. If this is the case let me know and I'll go on to other ventures. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of Rojovin
    posted Hide Post
    I have been using IMR 4895 Pulldown Powder for all my competition and hunting needs and find the bargain is outstanding. Several of club members use it also and we buy a considerable amount of powder. It is truly one of the best bargains on the market and it has never failed to work

Posts: 96 | Location: Long Island New York | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rojovin:
    I have been using IMR 4895 Pulldown Powder for all my competition and hunting needs and find the bargain is outstanding. Several of club members use it also and we buy a considerable amount of powder. It is truly one of the best bargains on the market and it has never failed to work

Where are you buying it these days. I got turned off on it years back when 8# of it arrived with serious nitrous or nitric deterioration.Burned up my lawn. If you have a dependable source I'd be willing to try it again. Back in the 50s and 60s it was my go to medium burning rate powder. beerroger

one of us
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by bartsche:
    FrownerIs there anybody out there gaining anything from this surplus powder data? An interest was shown on getting DP2200 data on another thread and that's why postings on two different series of loadings were made.

It is understood that this stuff may fall in the passe catagory. If this is the case let me know and I'll go on to other ventures. beerroger

Roger, I for one, appreciate your DP2200 posts. I tried some myself today and was pleased with the results with 55 gr bullets, but not as much with the 40 gr Ballistic Tips.
    40 gr Ballistic Tips, 25.0 gr DP2200, WSR primer, avg velocity 3627 fps, avg 5 shot 100 yd group 1.06"
    55 gr Nosler Shots, 23.4 gr DP 2200, WSR primer, avg velocity 3297 fps, 5 shot 100 yard group .71". Pretty impressive velocity for a 55 gr bullet. Both loads were fired in my 26" barrel Model 700 SPS Varmint. In my experience, DP2200 seems to prefer the 55 gr bullet to the lighter ones. I usually have better luck with Accurate 2015 or Ramshot TAC with the 40 and 50 gr bullets.
    My star of the day, was the old Hornady 50 gr SPSX, pushed by 26.0 gr of Ramshot TAC, with a Fed 205 primer. Didn't chronograph the load, but 2 5 shot groups averaged just .45" at 100 yards. I estimate mv to be around 3200 fps, based on chronographing other bullets of the same weight in identical loadings.
    My SPS Varmint is stock except for a Timney trigger. The barrel isn't even floated.
    By the way, my .243 still loves the Accurate Data 86 extruded. I put 3 80 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips into a nice .64" 3 shot group at 100 yards out of my Stevens 200. Velocity was just under 3300 fps. Should be a great rockchuck load.

Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Windy range report;223. Roger, I think your report was short, clear and to the point, not "windy" in the least! thanks Big Grin

One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by 2ndtimer:
    By the way, my .243 still loves the Accurate Data 86 extruded. I put 3 80 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips into a nice .64" 3 shot group at 100 yards out of my Stevens 200. Velocity was just under 3300 fps. Should be a great rockchuck load.

With all their failings it amazes me how accurate the Mod. 200s are. If a guy is inclined to put in a little work and improve the magazies, feeding and triggers They are a bit of all right. fishingroger

one of us
    posted Hide Post
    I must be lucky. My Stevens 200 magazine works fine, the rifle feeds great and has proven to be very accurate. Te only changes I have made to it are the Rifle Basix trigger and the Hogue butt pad. It holds better, reduces the recoil and grips my shoulder better than the stock hard rubber butt. Now I just need to sand the sharp portions of the molded stock, and it is good to go.

Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by 2ndtimer:
    Now I just need to sand the sharp portions of the molded stock, and it is good to go.

Not that it's the only or best way but drawing along the mold line with the back side of a hack saw blade will get rid of most of it. The same with the rough tits around the checkering.A medium course flat file does most of what's left, than a little sanding just before you paint it. thumbroger