Find
Notify
Tools

big game bullets in 35 Whelen?
 Login/Join

<samNella>
posted
Posted this to the Big Game forum, thought I'd try it here as well --

Recommendations on the best bullet in the 35 Whelen for elk? Partition, Hornady, Swift -- others?

one of us
posted Hide Post
For my self I would go with to Hornadays 250gr bullet you are not going to get the great speed where you need the partions ect at 35 whelen speeds the hornadays well hold togather just fine.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I found the 225 Partitions to be quite the ticket for all around use and pretty darn flat too.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I use the 250 gr. Hot Core Speer. T-N-T's on moose. What more can you ask for? FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In either my 35 Whelen or 350 Rem Mag I use the Speer and Hornady 250 gr. bullets. As previously posted, you aren't going to get the speeds that the premium (read expensive) bullets are required for, and these two really work at these velocities (2400-2700 fps). If you really want to try penetration try the 225 Gr. Barnes x. if it will shoot accurately in your rifle in penetrates like crazy. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used 225gr Noslers in my .350 Mag to good effect in Zimbabwe.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 35 Whelan Imp. and use a 225 gr. Nosler ballistic tip. I have had no problems with animals up to caribou. I have been told from a reliable source that Nosler makes the ballistic tip bullet much tougher from 338 on up.

Posts: 53 | Location: International Falls,MN | Registered: 11 January 2001Reply With Quote
<gamecock>
posted
Quinn, I think you're quite right about the Nosler Ballistic Tip being much stronger in the bigger bores. I was told that by a Nosler teckie when asking about BT suitability for moose. Worked for me. However, a little older and wiser now I'd probably go for the partition.

[This message has been edited by glenn (edited 01-04-2002).]

<bigdog>
posted
Sam,

I spent a lot of time experimenting with loads for my whelen when I got it 5 years ago.

I am lucky my Remington Classic likes all most loads. I have tried the nosler BT and partition, Barnes 225 X, Speer, Speer GS, and Hornady's. I am partial to Hornady's because my grandpa and Dad used them.

My Whelen has a very long throat so I can load the cartridges as long as the magazine will allow. This allows me to get close to some improved loads. The last time I crono'd a load it was with RL15 using the Hornady 250 spizter's @ around 2650 fps. I also like the VV N550 powder with 250's, some loads are faster with no pressure signs.

I have not used it on game, maybe this spring bear hunting.

just my 2 cents worth

BD

<samNella>
posted
Bigdog,

My Whelen (700BDL from 1989 or so) also has a very long throat. Loading the 250gr Hornady spire point in the cannelure, I've got well over 0.100" of jump to the rifling. When you load these bullets long, how far from the rifling do you seat them, and do you crimp behind the cannelure or not crimp at all? I've been playing with a Lee factory crimp die for this rifle -- most people say that using this die to crimp outside a cannelure won't affect accuracy, but I haven't test that yet.

<HVA>
posted
glenn: Did you use BTs on moose? If so, how did it turn out.

I�m interested in using them for my 358 NM.

<bigdog>
posted
Sam,

I don't crimp the loads. I will check my loads notes and let you know the C.O.L. of the Hornady loads. I load most everything .050" from the lands. I adjust seating depth to dial in my accuracy once I have the best load.

It must be noted that each rifle is an individual case and I believe in loading for the rifle. I owned two 243's and they would not shoot the same load.

BD

<mike elmer>
posted
Hiya Sam,

Don't forget the Sierra 225gr. BT spire pt....very accurate bullet in my .35 Whelen 700 Rem. Classic. Velocity is good enough at 2550 fps. and I get 3 shot cloverleaves consistantly at 100 yds. Unfortunately, I have had only two white tails in my crosshairs with it and had to pass on both shots because they where in line with the nieghbors homes!!!!...Happened 2 yrs in a row now....so I cannot tell you how they work on game, but it looks good in the ballistics books and at the range.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
bigdog

With my long throated Whelen I am pretty much duplicating what you are doing . I also like using W-W 06 cases rather than the Remington Whelen cases as they have a grain or two more capacity . I have not had a chance to try VV550 yet , sure would like to get my hands on some .....

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
<bigdog>
posted
sdgunslinger,

I also am using the WW 06 cases, seam to get a more define shoulder when forming cases. a little more capacity as well.

The VV powders are tough to find I finally had a local shop order it for me. I think it was about 40-43 bucks for 2 Lbs. VV will send load data if you e mail them.

Sam,

My Hornady load C.O.L. is 3.453

BD

<Mike Dettorre>
posted
I would take/try the Nosler 225s, the Swifts, and the Hornady 250s and see which is most accurarte in your rifle.

Some people will say the Hornady is not tough enough for elk. I disagree because you aren't going to be pushing that 250 grn bullet more than say 2600 fps which is well within the performance enevelope of that bullet.

The Hornady issues you here about are generally when they are being launched at MVs in excess of 2800 fps or more and striking targets in side of 75 yds.

------------------
MED

The sole purpose of a rifle is to please its owner

[This message has been edited by Mike Dettorre (edited 01-06-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
DB Bill....I'd be interested to here what type of game you took with the .350 Mag/225 Partition combo. Same combo I am using, but have not yet had the opportunity to use it on game.

My .350 also really like the 225 Sierras. I will be using it on an exotic sheep hunt next week. I doubt a 150 lb sheep will stop a 225 of any kind, but I am going to try to break a front shoulder and get as much quartering penetration as possible.

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not has a chance to shoot one of the big Hornadys into any game , but they look superb in my limited testing . At near the muzzle velocity of 2630 fps , they will shoot thru the leg or pelvis bones from a 1300 lb cow and penetrate about 15 inches in wet newspaper . They will retain right at 75 percent of the original weight and present a mushroom of about 3/4 inch . The 250 Speers are slightly softer , but also look pretty good . I doubt either bullet would have a real problem dispatching any soft skinned game .

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
<bigdog>
posted
I would also look at the 225 gr Trophy Bonded bullet.

I have seen a recovered bullet from a boar that penetrated fron stem to stern. The bullet did not exit but mushroomed perfectly, to over double it original size. This was the Federal factory load @ 2650.

I believe African Hunter magazine had an article regarding the 35 Whelen in Africa. The bullet of choice was the Nosler 250 gr partition and Speer. Even took a lion with the Whelen!!!!! here's the page check it out.

http://www.african-hunter.com/site/firearms/35wheleninzimbabwe_01.htm

BD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Anybody ever try the Speer 250 Grand Slam? That bullet has been forgotten in almost every .35 discussion I read. It should perform well.

I've recently been reading John "Pondoro" Taylor's "African Rifles and Cartridges". He has good things to say about the .350 Rigby Magnum (225 grains at 2600 - easily duplicated in the Whelen), and VERY good things to say about the rimmed .400/350 (310 grains at 2150).

In fact, Taylor said he could be happy using the .400/350 as his only medium bore for the remainder of his career. It was a very happy combination of bullet design, sectional density, and velocity. Too bad there are so few heavy .35 bullets today.

Anyone work with 300 or 310 grain bullets in a Whelen or AI Whelen? 2100-2150 sounds safely possible if the bullet didn't have to be seated too deep.

Sounds like fun!
BigIron

By the way, Cartridges of the World and Craig Boddington's Safari book peg the .400/350's velocity at 2000; Taylor says 2150. The Westley-Richards web site (http://www.westleyrichards.com/ammo.asp?Type=Rifle&ID=200112615301714) says their new-manufactured ammo gets 2000. I can't settle the dispute.

[This message has been edited by BigIron (edited 01-07-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bigiron, i use the 250 speer in my 350 Rem Mag. Works great @ 2600 fps. In the 35 Whelen, I find the Hornady a little more accurate. I think next I'll do a 35 Whelen AI, 35 Gibbs, or Brown-Whelen. Just because of the need for speed. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote