New
Find
Notify
Tools

9mm reloads
 Login/Join

<reverenddan>
posted
I have been casting and sizing my 9mm bullets to .356 simply because this is conventional wisdom. However my RCBS molds seem to cast a bullet larger in diamater than my Lyman molds using the same alloy and "all things being equal."

In my sizing of the 9mm 124 grain TC bullets I have found that sizing them to .356 really swages the sides. I know from experience that my little Lyman 45 caliber 255 swc bullets barely get touched by my .452 sizing die and as a result (in my opinion) they are tremendously accurate.

I think my 9mm bullets are getting excessivly worked over so I switched to a .357 die and viola! They are just trued up and look very nice and are easier to lube.

So here is my question; Who has experience with .357 bullets in the 9mm? How do they work?

I have slugged the barrel on my S&W 439 and it is the true .355 so I am only .002 over which seems acceptable in revolvers but I have no experience with semi-autos so I am looking for advice and opinions. [Confused]

one of us
posted Hide Post
As long as the loaded rounds are an easy fit in the chamber, you're good to go.

I use cast bullets sized .358 in 9mms and have for years. Only stuff I size to .356 is for a little .380 with a tight chamber.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot .358" 158 gr LSWC cast bullets in a 9mm barrel for a Tokarev pistol. The magazine is long, so I have re chambered for 9x23mm. As the man above says, it all works fine if the chamber fits. I have made an extra large diameter and length free bore to accomodate the big bullets.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used them big in a 9mm with no problem. I read somewhere that the proper size for a revolver is to fit the cylinder not the bbl, which is fairly big!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Until recently I didn't have anything but a .358 sizer so that's what they all went thru. Some didn't get sized as much as just trued up, but I've run some pretty big full wadcutters thru my 9mm with good results. The 380's shot well with any boolit that will chamber including Lymans 357242 and 356402 which cast about 357 or so. Regards, Woody

Posts: 98 | Location: S.E. Oregon too close to PRK | Registered: 28 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recently bought a Lyman 456402 mould. I purchased a .356 sizing die, but the top punch has yet to arrive. I've had excellent results shooting unsized 45's that were lubed with Lees' liquid alox in both a 1911 and a 1917. (Excellent results being defined as little or no leading and they chambered and fired with out problems.)So I thouhgt I'd try the same thing with 9mms'.Some one pointed out that the bullet doesn't care what does the sizing, the gun or a machine, and that very little pressure is required to size a bullet.

Posts: 27 | Location: Speedway Indiana | Registered: 27 November 2002Reply With Quote