Find
Notify
Tools

dacron filler ???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello All

I want to try a few loads for my 450/400 that require 1 - 1.5 grains of dacron filler on top of the powdwer charge.

Since I've never uses any type of filler in any of my reloads I'm not quite sure about doing this. I've been reloading for years just never needed fillers.

At any rate, would this "dacron" be the same stuff used in, say, pillow stuffing or is something different?
I assume you just poke this stuff down in tight on top of the powder charge?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 63 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 11 March 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We use all sorts of fillers.

All work for reduced loads without any problems.

Yes, it is what they use in pillows.

You can also use the thing they use for shotgun shells - it is a powders with small granules.

In a pinch, you can use tissue or toilet paper.

All work.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67509 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW...I don't shoot loads that require a "filler" very much...I just go the a slightly slower burning, higher bulk density powder that fills the case to ≈90% or more as long as the pressure and velo remain within required specs.

There are many "light weight" products that will expand when crumpled first like tissue paper, "kitchen" paper, shop paper towels etc, paper/foam burn quickly and leave no residue...

I've also used foam ear plugs and foam(?) fillers sold by many shotgun/rifle product suppliers...and also "pelletized" foam buffer filler used in shotguns as a buffer around the shot. Precision reloading sells "Spherical Shotshell Buffer" PRPSB 22, 22 oz bottle and PRPSBBK, 10# bulk bag...you might email them or check some of your local suppliers.

For straight walled cases I've used shotgun filler wads cut to size/thickness and overshot shotgun thin card wads...they come in several OD's...DEPENDING on the amount of needed air space filler...I DON'T like more than MAYBE a max of 15% airspace below the bullet...just MY thing.

I've also cut foam earplugs into 1/4-3/8" thick chunks which usually work for cases up to Rigby case ID size...you just have to fiddle around to work out which length/thickness works the best and weighs within requirements.

Good Hunting tu2 beer

One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
Needed for reduced loads in large capacity cases. Use a small tuft pushed in with a pencil or whatever to keep the powder against the case bottom. Results with my 458 Lott and Speer 400gr using Blue Dot.

one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
As Saeed said, the "dacron filler" is nothing but dacron pillow stuffing available from most fabric stores. The shotgun buffer pellets, "Pufflon" I think it's called, works well also.

Graeme Wright's book "Shooting the British Double Rifle" is a great book for this kind of thing, and not just for double riles! He talks about all the different ways of loading big old cartridges with modern powders and bullets (and fillers), and has lots of specific cartridge data, many pressure tested. Highly recommended!

Posts: 970 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
make damn sure it's fluffed up.
fluffed up into the neck of the case and the bullet pushes down on it when it's seated.
you DO NOT want an air gap between the Dacron and the bullets base.
or between the Dacron and the powder.
make sure it touches both and is lightly compressed when the bullet is seated.

Dacron also takes place of some of the powder.
so work up your loads from the beginning with the filler.
DO NOT just add it at the end.

it is safe to use and very beneficial in many instances if it is used properly.
it can and will cause problems if it used incorrectly.

Posts: 4989 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I use it reguraly in my large cases I.E. 470 N.E.,450-400,etc.I use the brand "hollowfill" bought at any fabric store.I use a piece of wood dowling to tamp the dacrom onto the charge before seating the bullet.It works.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would new corncob tumbler media work?

Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo shit.

Posts: 1322 | Location: IOWA | Registered: 27 October 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Most if not all Dr shooters understand the use of a fiiller, there are various products that work well, do not ever leave any airspace or a gap when using a filler,foam backer rod is the easiest to use, get the right size & cut to length,I cut foam plugs from gun case foam, again though I will repeat myself, no air space & the filler should be slightly compressed.

DRSS

Posts: 2278 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
I have done quite a bit of reloading for the 470, 500/465, 500/450 and the 450/400s both 3 1/4" and 3".

When using loads that require a filler I have used both dacron and foam. I have settled on using the foam plugs that Kynamco sells. They are easy to order, relatively cheap, repeatable and easy to use.

http://www.kynochammunition.co.uk/miscellaneous.html

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I would totally AVOID dacron filler. There is a serious risk of damaging the chamber (ringing) as the dacron compresses under the bullet - stop-start .... It may not happen every time but it is a known issue.

Much easier to just use the foam backer rods. 10mm foam rod cut to required length with about 10mm compression will do the job. Very easy and no fuss.

Also foam backer rod is only about 0.5 gr max. Most dacron loads will suggest 4 to 6 gr of dacron

https://www.bing.com/images/se...xhist=0&vt=0&eim=2,6

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11023 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use wads punched from 1" foam.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nopride2:
I use wads punched from 1" foam.

Dave

The only problem with foam might be that it leaves a sticky residue in the barrel whereas decron burns clean.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In his summer, 2011 article in Double Gun Journal Sherman Bell addresses the use of fillers. Regarding dacron his conclusion is that more is better, by using a well compressed tuft of dacron vs a small fluffed tuft the stutter step mentioned by Nakihunter is eliminated. He concludes that fillers, when used in only slightly compressible amounts amounts result in a smoother pressure curve where as fillers easily compressed within the case allow pressure to build without constraint until the base of the bullet is encountered. At that point pressure increases until the bullet is started. In the original posters situation I would suggest stuffing as much compressed dacron in the case as will fit under the bullet.

Posts: 367 | Location: South east Georgia | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the replies and info.

Another question please, for those of you who use the foam backer rods that Kynamco sells, what size would recommend for a 450/400; the size 1 or size 2?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 63 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 11 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roll of foam backing rod from the hardware store is excellent.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3357 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Kynamco probably just get the commercial 10mm rods and cut them to size.

Considering the tiny volume they sell, it is unlikely to be a special order item.

I use the 12mm for the 470NE. The local wholesaler told me that the grey and the white are exactly the same in density etc. Only cosmetic colour variation.

quote:
Originally posted by longfeather1:
Thanks all for the replies and info.

Another question please, for those of you who use the foam backer rods that Kynamco sells, what size would recommend for a 450/400; the size 1 or size 2?

Thanks in advance.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11023 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Like I said,a short piece of wooden doweling rod works great + it's cheap.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
I would get the #2 size

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used Puff-lon quite a bit, but be forewarned you must treat it as a new load and start from scratch from a reduced starting load and work your way up. Works great as a lubricant and sealer, but will raise pressures.

Link

Phil

Posts: 1466 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Backer rod from the hardware store is cheap and super easy to use.
for the 450/400, use the 1/2" backer rod. Cut to length (from powder column to the base of the bullet) and simply twist it into the case. Use a dowel, pencil, etc to final seat it.
The backer rod comes in 3/8", 1/2" and 5/8".
I did notice that Lowes must have changed suppliers because the most recent I have bought seemed to be darker and a bit stiffer.
Worked just as the old stuff but doesn't slide into the case as smoothly.

Posts: 3243 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The backing rod I get is grey. A bit over size is what I like and I cut it about .125" longer than the space it will fill.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3357 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use 5 grs or more depending on caliber or load of pillow Dacron in my 450-400 and it comes out in a plug..Its a good way to load a double..I also use commercial fillers from Enland. I buy them at SCI Vegas and Dallas..I think NEGC handles them also..They work great.never a misfire. and excellent ignition. added to my accuracy by about an inch at 75 yards. In at least 40 years maybe more Ive never had a problem with Dacron contrary to some beliefs I listened to over the years..and I know for a fact they used IMR-3031 and that was the source of the ringing..I know JJ uses IMR-3031 and he says it can ring a bore under the right circumstances..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41997 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Huvius:
Backer rod from the hardware store is cheap and super easy to use.
(Snip).............
I did notice that Lowes must have changed suppliers because the most recent I have bought seemed to be darker and a bit stiffer.
Worked just as the old stuff but doesn't slide into the case as smoothly.

Noticed the same thing. The latest Lowes backer rod 1/2” still works OK in .500 3” cases but is a pain to squeeze into bottlenecked like .470, .500/.450 or .450 3-1/4

Dacron works great but is a real mess in front of the muzzle if you shoot a lot of rounds.
- Mike

Posts: 296 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 13 April 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I might add that Dacron fits all bores at tight as you wish..I used it in all my double loads. Tamp it with a wood pencil..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41997 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote