Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Anyone heard of a 7.82 Pat?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Saeed,

Back in the days of my youth (my wife says I'm still in them) I used a .300 Weatherby Mag. with 180 grain handloads for some of that long range stuff. Shot a Pronghorn at 406 steps away on a Montana hunt. Shot a coyote here in Illinois at a measured 410 yards. It's doable with a good accurate flat shooting .30 cal all right. That was the last (and only) 26" barrel I ever owned.

Rich Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Rich,

For long range hunting, I think the Warbird is going to be very hard to beat.

I built a 30/404, which has about the same ballistics as the Warbird - around 3,500 fps with a 180 grain 30 caliber bullet.

I used it on our hunt in South Africa 2 years ago.

I remember we saw a blue wildebeast at a distance, and Walter wanted to shoot one. He had a 7x64 Brenneke, in one of those silly German made contraptions they call rifles - a Blaser R-93.

He refused to shoot it, saying it was way beyond what he considers to be a reasonable distance to shoot an animal. Adding that I should try to hit it, and he will spot my misses.

I fired one shot at the wildebeast, which ran a few yards and dropped dead.

We thought the distance was between 400-450 yards.

Posts: 68614 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
7.82mm is .308". He's using the bullet diameter. 7.62mm is .300", the bore diameter of typical .30 calibers.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess it was Lazeronni,Dakota, and Jarret that forced the issue on those Short Magnum cartridges Remington & Winchester < !--color--> < !--color-->
are turning out.

Rich Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich....I have a Patriot and the best way to think of it is as a short version of the 300 WinMag...mine has a 24" gain-twist barrel and using lubed bullets I can match the performance of the the 300 Weatherby with a 26" barrel.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

Thanks, I thought it might be but didn't have much to go on. I stoped and looked at Lazzeroni's booth in Dallas because we have a guy bringing one of those Warbirds. Looks like it oughta do okay. Guess 7.82 is a bout a .31 caliber? The cartridges are ..well... a solution for which there was no problem.
Rich Elliott

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Rich,

This is one of John Lazzeroni's cartridges.

7.82 Patriot

Posts: 68614 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a guy coming to Ethiopia and he listed this caliber on his firearms info. Is it a typo or what?

Rich ELliott