New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading room setup ?'s
 Login/Join

<OSK>
posted
I have been reloading for a few years now, and I am just now getting my own room setup. Question is, my bench is going into the garage, and I wanted to know if I needed to store my powder indoors because of the heat?? (Here in Texas, it can get pretty hot in a garage! 110*F+). I didn't know if the incresed temps would have any effect on the powders?

Also, I picked up a case tumbler...and was wondering which media would be best for cleaning??? Thanks in advance!

Chris

<Odessa>
posted
I'm in eastern NC and we have similar temps to yours in JUL/AUG/SEP coupled with high humidity. I also have my reloading room in my garage and store my powder and primers there. I have been using an old "Omaha Steaks" shipping container for several years to keep the powder and primers in. It is styrofoam and about 3-4 inches thick, I put my tumbler on top of it to keep the lid sealed tight. It holds about 10 1lb. cans of powder and several packs of primers and seems to do a fine job; never had any signs of deterioration or any misfires, low velocities, etc. Odessa

<P H Barker>
posted
OSK,
I started loading in 1977, in Houston. Then moved down to the beach. Now live near Beaumont. I still have some of the original powders and primers from the late 1970s. They have been stored in all matter of places throughout moves and periods of reloading inactivity. I keep the powder in one of those big rubbermaid storage things - kind of like a footlocker. Keep the primers in a tupperware thing. None of this has been in an airconditioned area since leaving Houston in 1989. Have had no problems, everything still goes pop.

NOTE, HOWEVER, a friend of mine recently went thru the concealed handgun course, and was told by the instructor that shells in a loaded pistol which is left in a vehicle should be shot every 30 days. Said the heat would deteriorate the primers. I've never heard of this, and it may just be a bunch of BS. I have shotgun shells that I keep in my truck toolchest for years, and they still shoot fine. I don't know, I'm no expert, just food for thought.

<.>
posted
I have my reloading setup in the garage in Oregon (damp).

I keep dies, tools, powder and primers in a heated area just to keep them out of the damp. I regularly wipe down the steel parts on the press with an oiled rag.

But then, it's good practice to wipe down all your dies with an oiled rag. Acids in your fingers will rust dies, just like it rusts guns.

Oh yeah . . .

I have lots of solvents, paint thinner, etc. stored out near the work bench. It's recommened not to store powder, primers near solvents, etc.

Powders are packed in containers which break apart if they ignite. When storing powders you want to avoid putting them in a container (like a wall locker) which becomes a "bomb casing" if the powder ignites.

As for heat . . . manufactures warn that heat deteriorates powders. The standard "cool/dry" place is ideal. It's easy to store powders and primers indoors in a closet or on a shelf in the house.

------------------
.223 Ackley Improved Wildcat Forum:
http://www.hotboards.com/plus/plus.mirage?who=223ackleyimproved

[This message has been edited by Genghis (edited 05-06-2002).]

<OSK>
posted
Thanks for the replys! Also, anyone have recommendations on the case cleaning media?? Thanks again!

Chris

<Fuzz>
posted
OSK
I use Walnut but I don't care if my ammo is real shiny, just clean. I think corncob will give you more shine. Fuzz

<El Viejo>
posted
I use both walnut and corncob. I buy them at the pet store. Both are used for reptile bedding. Walnut is 25# for about $15. I add a couple of capfulls of Dillon's case polish.

BTW,
Don't use corncob on .223, as it can get stuck in the cases. I learned the hardway and spent over an hour picking it out with tweezers.

------------------
Never teach a pig to sing.
It wastes your time and annoys the pig

<eldeguello>
posted
I used to live in Lampasas, and I always stored my powder and primers in an air-conditioned environment in the hot months, due to heat. Now, living in central NY and southern PA, I still store my powders inside, but due to moisture rather than excessive heat! Keep your powder COOL and dry!!