New
Find
Notify
Tools

Win Model 88 in 284
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A friend asked me if I could reload bullets for his Winchester Model 88 lever action in 284 win. I see that RCBS sells "small base" sizer dies for use in semi-autos, pumps, and lever actions. Are these dies necessary for reliable operation in a model 88 or will the standard full length dies from RCBS, Hornady, or Lee work? I would also appreciate any load data that anyone has had success with in this combination. Thanks for any help.

Ian

Posts: 39 | Location: Watson Lake, Yukon Territory | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You should not need small base dies for the model 88. I have loaded hundreds of 284 and 308 for my 88's and have never had any problems.

Posts: 223 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 11 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is there a particular bullet weight that would be best suited in the 88? I'm not sure of the rate of twist. Furthermore, what is the max COL for reliable feeding in the 88? Ian

[ 04-22-2003, 23:48: Message edited by: ian ]

Posts: 39 | Location: Watson Lake, Yukon Territory | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ian A friend of mine has a Win 88 in 284 and I have a Sav 99-C. With both rifles the Speer bullets have been the most satisfactory. For deer we use the 145 gr and for anything larger the 160 spitzer flat base bullets. Bullets with very long ogives can be loaded but in order to fit them in the magazine they must protrude well down into the case.The Speer design has a more abrupt ogive and do not compromise case capacity as bad.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info snowman. That's just what I was looking for. He will be using the 88 for sheep, goat,and caribou. Interestingly enough, I moved here from Thompson last year, having spent most of my life in Manitoba. Thanks again. Ian

one of us
posted Hide Post
In my 308 Win I shoot Either 125 or 165 grain Ballistic Tips for hunting. the 125 grain sure does a job on a Whitetail. I do however shoot allot of 168 grain sierra match. sorry I can't help with the 284 as I have not loaded for it for some time as I sold my 284 88 a few years ago to purchas a pre-64 88 in 308 Win.

[ 04-23-2003, 23:11: Message edited by: Handloader ]

Posts: 223 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 11 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tell your friend it is impossible to reload for Win 88 in .284 ! too much trouble and expense. So HIS ONLY choice is to sell or trade the rifle to me for a more modern rifle. If he won't ,it really isn't necessary to use small base dies. I've been loading a .308 and .358 Win 88 for years with top loads with standard dies.

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As has been stated, the 88 typically requires no special sizing. Even neck sized brass will probably function fine.

The 88 has limited magazine length, so I advise staying away from the long bullets like Nosler Ballistic Tips and similar. A 140 grain conventional bullet, or perhaps Nosler Partition, should do well in your 88 for your intended sheep, goat, and caribou.

Posts: 13248 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote